+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requirements of staying in Canada

Dr chimdi

Jul 18, 2018
Hello everyone. I am a medical doctor set to land in Canada next month (August). I am aware of how difficult it is for junior doctors like me to fit into medical practise in Canada so I opted to write UK exams and do my residency training there before coming into Canada. It was after I passed the exams that I got to know about the 2-year stay requirement to retain PR. I have been discussing with friends about this and 2 persons claimed it is not a hard and fast rule. I will need to be in the UK for at most, 4 years after which I will be back to Canada fully. I will however intend to stay some months in Canada this year. I am also married with a 4-month old baby and I would also love for us all to be together. Since PR card is said to be valid for 5 years, if I enter at that 5th year and not leave Canada again for years, will I be in trouble with CIC please? I am really in a fix and need to make a decision as soon as possible and would appreciate your responses. Thank you

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your friends are wrong. It is a hard and fast rule. In order to meet the residency obligation you agreed to when you applied for a PR, you need to maintain 730 days in 5 years residing in Canada. While there is no means to force you to stay, failing to do so puts your PR at risk. Entering with only a few months within Canada 5 years down the road you expose yourself and your family to a residency review when you do enter again to stay. This doesn’t always happen, but there does seem to be an increased scrutiny and with an upcoming election, a new government may make this a priority. The choice is yours and it comes with associated risks, but if identified and reported for failing to meet RO, be aware that education isn’t usually considered sufficient grounds for not meeting RO and you and your family would likely loose your PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone. I am a medical doctor set to land in Canada next month (August). I am aware of how difficult it is for junior doctors like me to fit into medical practise in Canada so I opted to write UK exams and do my residency training there before coming into Canada. It was after I passed the exams that I got to know about the 2-year stay requirement to retain PR. I have been discussing with friends about this and 2 persons claimed it is not a hard and fast rule. I will need to be in the UK for at most, 4 years after which I will be back to Canada fully. I will however intend to stay some months in Canada this year. I am also married with a 4-month old baby and I would also love for us all to be together. Since PR card is said to be valid for 5 years, if I enter at that 5th year and not leave Canada again for years, will I be in trouble with CIC please? I am really in a fix and need to make a decision as soon as possible and would appreciate your responses. Thank you
It's a hard and fast rule. Don't listen to your friends.

To maintain your PR status, you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years. If you fail to meet this requirement, there is always some chance your PR status may be revoked. Studying outside of Canada is not accepted as a reason for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you wait until the 5th year to enter Canada and don't meet the residency requirement, you may be reported at the border for failing to meet RO and your PR status eventually revoked. If you want to make sure your PR status is safe, then you will need to meet the residency requirement.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sure the NHS will be thrilled that they are spending a couple hundred pounds training a foreign doctor who plans to leave immediately.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should also mention that you may still struggle to find a job right out of residency in Canada depending on your speciality. You will also likely need a fellowship. Doesn't seem like you will be a GP which would likely guarantee a job. Due to the increase in enrolment in Canadian med schools and retention of Canadian graduates many Canadian graduates struggle to find jobs. All depends on your specialty choice. My friend was the top plastic surgery grad, had 2 fellowships, had been published a few times, surgery awards and had completed a masters during her residency and there were very few jobs available and all in small centres. Most were locums. Yes she is crazy intelligent and the story is true. She was a full actuary, which is actually harder than med schoo,l before she decided she wanted to be a surgeon.

Dr chimdi

Jul 18, 2018
It's a hard and fast rule. Don't listen to your friends.

To maintain your PR status, you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years. If you fail to meet this requirement, there is always some chance your PR status may be revoked. Studying outside of Canada is not accepted as a reason for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you wait until the 5th year to enter Canada and don't meet the residency requirement, you may be reported at the border for failing to meet RO and your PR status eventually revoked. If you want to make sure your PR status is safe, then you will need to meet the residency requirement.
Okay, thank you

Dr chimdi

Jul 18, 2018
Should also mention that you may still struggle to find a job right out of residency in Canada depending on your speciality. You will also likely need a fellowship. Doesn't seem like you will be a GP which would likely guarantee a job. Due to the increase in enrolment in Canadian med schools and retention of Canadian graduates many Canadian graduates struggle to find jobs. All depends on your specialty choice. My friend was the top plastic surgery grad, had 2 fellowships, had been published a few times, surgery awards and had completed a masters during her residency and there were very few jobs available and all in small centres. Most were locums. Yes she is crazy intelligent and the story is true. She was a full actuary, which is actually harder than med schoo,l before she decided she wanted to be a surgeon.
I actually meant GP training. Thanks all the same

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You really did not have to be sarcastic.
Not sarcastic. Think you will get a lot of negativity from various consultants that will be training you and the whole system when they discover your future plans. They only accepted you as a foreign trained medical student because they need more GPs and training doctors is a long and expensive process so retention is important. On a positive note you should be should be able to get a job in Canada after passing a few licensing exams.