+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requirements for PR after study

Jhoe96

Nov 7, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
PNP
Hi there,
I would like some assistance in applying for my permanent residency. I am a graduate from a college here in BC, Canada and currently working in my field full time(on my post-grad work permit) I am on the verge of doing my english test and getting my police record check done from back home in Jamaica.

Could someone please help me with my process as I am totally lost as to what I should do after that is done

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Do you have 1 year of work experience (in a job under NOC 0, A, or B) either inside or outside Canada? If no, then you have to wait until you have 1 year of full-time work experience or the equivalent in part-time.

Jhoe96

Nov 7, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
PNP
by work experience do you mean after my studies/in my field?
if yes, no. I started working in my field in July 2017 but been working since Jan 2015 in Canada

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
You can't use work experience during your study in Canada. When did you finish your studies and obtain the PGWP?
If you have obtained your PGWP in July 2017, you will be eligible to apply in July 2018 given that you continue working for the whole year in a full-time job(s) under NOC 0, A, B.
Here is a link to start with to understand the requirements to apply for PR under Canadian Experience Class (CEC):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

Last edited:

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
In this case, as stated above, you are only eligible when you accumulate 1 year of Canadian work experience. Note that this 1 year doesn't have to be continuous. So, you can have a break due to pregnancy. But you should resume working after that to fulfill the work experience requirement, then you can apply for PR. Good Luck!