+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

requirements for citizenship will increase to 5 years

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
scylla said:
You're 100% correct. Poll after poll after poll has shown that the majority of voting Canadians are in favour of tougher immigration and citizenship laws. So the majority of Canadian voters are going to be in favour of this measure. Interestingly enough a recent poll has shown that the group of citizens who are most in favour of tougher immigration / citizenship laws are naturalized Canadians (i.e. those who became citizens through immigration rather than getting citizenship through being born in Canada).
True, I saw a poll this morning that said 80% of the population supported the reforms introduced yesterday. And the one that seemed to be the most popular (and was even praised by the Liberals) was the increased residency requirement.

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
jsm0085 said:
Ultimately this won't be an issue for those who actually intend to reside in Canada for the foreseeable. I'm a bit bummed by the fact that none of my experience prior to PR will count, but I understand why they are looking at the new proposals.

The only people this will effect are those who wanted to get a Canadian passport and then leave. This is exactly why they are changing the rules!
I agree with you, my issue with this bill is the extra 1 year addition and removing prior days.

I have seen people get the passport, and leave Canada (browse the page 1 of this thread for supporters of this issue).
And I know because of applicants like those, the genuine future Canadians are going to suffer. I would be upset too, if people only came to my country when they are sick, or want me to loan them for education - while they have business elsewhere.

I hope they will amend this bill and accept physical presence prior to PR.

ferna

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2013
AOR Received.
24-06-2013
Med's Request
24-01-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014
Passport Req..
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014 (before I got the PPR!!)
LANDED..........
01-03-2014
jsm0085 said:
Ultimately this won't be an issue for those who actually intend to reside in Canada for the foreseeable. I'm a bit bummed by the fact that none of my experience prior to PR will count, but I understand why they are looking at the new proposals.

The only people this will effect are those who wanted to get a Canadian passport and then leave. This is exactly why they are changing the rules!
Without Canadian passport, I need to get a visa each time I want to go down the border! USA green card holders can easily come to Canada. But Canada PRs need to get a visa each time to go to USA. I know some people can get multiple entry but it is not the case for everybody..

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
ferna said:
Without Canadian passport, I need to get a visa each time I want to go down the border! USA green card holders can easily come to Canada. But Canada PRs need to get a visa each time to go to USA. I know some people can get multiple entry but it is not the case for everybody..
Canadian PR's used to be able to travel to the U.S. visa free as well. Unfortunately, this privilege was abused and as a result, the rule was changed.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I've read the article and couldn't find where it said that the eligibility requirements for citizenship applications will be increased from 3 to 5 years...but, yeah it hinted that eligibility requirements would be changed.

Anyway...imagine if someone waits 5 years to be eligible...and then gets an RQ after submitting the application....how long would that poor person have to wait :'(...it could reach up to 9 years in total right? Which country's citizenship is worth 9 years of waiting?! Even if a canadian passport will grant entry to mars without visa..its still not worth waiting that long.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
emamabd said:
Anyway...imagine if someone waits 5 years to be eligible...and then gets an RQ after submitting the application....how long would that poor person have to wait :'(...it could reach up to 9 years in total right? Which country's citizenship is worth 9 years of waiting?! Even if a canadian passport will grant entry to mars without visa..its still not worth waiting that long.
Perhaps it's the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, but how did you arrive at 9 years?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
torontosm said:
Canadian PR's used to be able to travel to the U.S. visa free as well. Unfortunately, this privilege was abused and as a result, the rule was changed.
Well punishing everyone for something which only a few have done, is exactly what governments in third world countries do..

That also applies for the extended citizenship eligibility....i have nothing to do with those who got their passports and never came back to canada unless when they are sick, or when there's a security threat in their own countries. Why am i punished? i have no clue :-[.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
LPS said:
Perhaps it's the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, but how did you arrive at 9 years?
you can correct me if i'm wrong...after you have your coffee ofcourse ;)

How long would an "RQ" delay an application? I assumed in my previous post that it would add 4 years delay....is that true or not?

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
21-01-2012(sent with application)
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
emamabd said:
Well punishing everyone for something which only a few have done, is exactly what governments in third world countries do..

That also applies for the extended citizenship eligibility....i have nothing to do with those who got their passports and never came back to canada unless when they are sick, or when there's a security threat in their own countries. Why am i punished? i have no clue :-[.
I totally agree and support , i am with protecting all Canadian people rights as i want to be protected when i become canadian and as i havalready two candian kids.. but resricting my physical movement is silly.. i love travelling.. attending conferences and doing locum in other countries .. if Canada want to support their people by bringing more immigranta to work and pay taxes.. they need to know that highly qualified people have many doora open to them.. and if rules here are getting harder.. they might stop coming.. and only thos who are less qualified and who have no other options would only come..

Good luck guys.. i will think again about this

But once the Law is approved and after i become PR .. haha

new_guy

Nov 14, 2013
Brampton
Although for some of you this may be still a long way ahead but the new Citizenship Act Bill C-24 is going to affect all foreign temporary workers. In fact it discriminates against our group as we are the only group which will be affected by twice as long extension period.
I have started a petition on Change.Org here: https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24#

Once we have enough support and signatures I plan to take it to media, MP's and House of Commons. Your help is crucial, please sign, forward and share on Facebook, Twitter as much as you can.

Thank you
Alex

(I do not take any credit in this, I am just spreading the word - New_Guy)

sordi2006

Feb 13, 2014
Guys, the bottom line (assuming you don't go on vacation outside of Canada for more than 2 weeks and you've been a temporary worker/student here for the past 5 years and just got your PR, as the majority of us here) - with the current act, you would need to wait 2 years (as a PR) plus 2 years (processing time) = 4 years. With the proposed act, we would need to wait 4 years (as a PR) plus 1 year (processing time) = 5 years. So basically the extension of wait time is only 1 year... Is it a big deal?

The proposed act probably discriminates against super-wealthy people from non visa-exempt countries that want to get Canadian passport and travel around the world (using their mommys and daddies money)... I personally don't care much about these people.

The bad thing - the cost of the process will probably triple for us...

Ultimately, of course this act will worsen our positions but not to the degree of the end of the world - just try to look at the glass as half-full, not half-empty!

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
ferna said:
Not each time, unless you get a visa and only go once.... I just got a visa after becoming a PR for 10 years. I'll be Canadian before that finishes so I can't complain.