+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting visitor record extension for more than six months?

travelingrabbit

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
Hey there,

I have been in Canada since September 2019, I'm a US citizen. I requested an extension in February 2020 and received approval for an additional six months in June. My spouse and I have mailed our sponsorship & OWP application in the mail just over a week ago. I understand the IIRC is backed up with applications and it may take time to process. My visitor visa expires in September and I'm quite sure that my OWP application is going to take longer than that based on what I've seen on the google spreadsheet. I know I'm on implied status now but I don't want to risk being out of status when my OWP gets processed. I intend on applying for another extension but the question is would it be worth asking for more than six months at this point? I think I'd want to put a six month request on the application itself but request if a year extension is possible on the letter. Should I not bother with it?

Thanks.

edenfair

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
Hi there, I'm also a US citizen who applied inland w/OWP back in February. My own visitor extension expired in June and I haven't requested another. Most people say implied status is sufficient, as long as you made sure your forms were filled out correctly and you paid the fees for OWP.

I can't say for sure if they would accept a year extension. I've had two successful extensions in the past, and they gave me the date I asked for both times, but the date was at approximately 6 months.

Reactions: travelingrabbit

lacey

Star Member
Sep 20, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
07-12-2020
AOR Received.
10-05-2021
Med's Request
15-06-2021
Med's Done....
24-06-21
My husband is an American citizen that applied for inland w/ OWP in March. He came here October and his original 6 months was up in April. We asked for a year and he got approved until March 2021. If I were you, I would ask for a year. This way you don't have to pay again in 6 months if you need to re extend.

Vendi

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
I came here in sep 2019 just like you and applied for visa extension in feb 2020, last week i got a request for medicals, and i got the email for visa extension upto Oct i asked for 6months, but now its like it was extended for 3months or maybe the visa officer counted the processing time
Which sponsership did you apply for spousal or common law? Well i wanted to apply for spousal but the city hall has just opened to get our marriage license, and it takes like 8weeks to process marriage certificate. So i have opted to go with common law since i have to put my stuff together before october and when we get married and i get the marriage certificate later on, i can submite it on web form.
I would advise you to submite another visa extension just to be on the safe side coz i have read here where peoples OWP are returned and when its returned you have to apply for restoration. I will also apply for another extension.

travelingrabbit

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
We applied for spousal sponsorship, both of us got married a few months before I arrived in Canada.

I think I will apply for a year, I'll let everyone know the outcome in case someone comes searching for an answer like this :)

Vendi

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
We applied for spousal sponsorship, both of us got married a few months before I arrived in Canada.

I think I will apply for a year, I'll let everyone know the outcome in case someone comes searching for an answer like this :)
I think i will also apply for a visa extension for 1year. I did medicals so can i submite them upfront together with my common law sponsership

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I’m a US citizen application was sent in June work permit expired in may. Applied for a visitor record asking for 1 year and it was approved this month.

Vendi

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Hey there,

I have been in Canada since September 2019, I'm a US citizen. I requested an extension in February 2020 and received approval for an additional six months in June. My spouse and I have mailed our sponsorship & OWP application in the mail just over a week ago. I understand the IIRC is backed up with applications and it may take time to process. My visitor visa expires in September and I'm quite sure that my OWP application is going to take longer than that based on what I've seen on the google spreadsheet. I know I'm on implied status now but I don't want to risk being out of status when my OWP gets processed. I intend on applying for another extension but the question is would it be worth asking for more than six months at this point? I think I'd want to put a six month request on the application itself but request if a year extension is possible on the letter. Should I not bother with it?

Thanks.
Hey did your extension say you must
Hey there,

Thanks.
Hello did your extension have conditions, ?? Like medicals and you must leave canada, by the end of the extension, am planning on getting married but getting marriage certificates will take up time, and will be out of status so am planning on applying for another extension, and hope there is no limitation for asking for an extension

travelingrabbit

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
Hey did your extension say you must
Hello did your extension have conditions, ?? Like medicals and you must leave canada, by the end of the extension, am planning on getting married but getting marriage certificates will take up time, and will be out of status so am planning on applying for another extension, and hope there is no limitation for asking for an extension
Nah, no conditions that I had to meet on my part. Of course it is expected to leave at the end of your extension unless you request another I imagine. I don't think I will be denied another extension considering I have an application for sponsorship and OWP pending. I do come from the US where it's medical exempt country for tourist visa so I don't think they will ask for one, though if they ask for one this time, I don't have problems doing one, it will get that out of the way at least.

Vendi

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Nah, no conditions that I had to meet on my part. Of course it is expected to leave at the end of your extension unless you request another I imagine. I don't think I will be denied another extension considering I have an application for sponsorship and OWP pending. I do come from the US where it's medical exempt country for tourist visa so I don't think they will ask for one, though if they ask for one this time, I don't have problems doing one, it will get that out of the way at least.
Hey, how did you print out your photos? Did you print out on paper or on photo paper.
2. Documentary evidence of financial support between you and the sponser ...? What did you provide, can i attach like (money transfer)western Union receipt my sponser used to send me b4 i moved to canada.

travelingrabbit

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
1. I submitted a digital photo since I apply online.

2. My husband is currently mostly supporting me so I submitted a couple of his paystubs. For you, I think they prefer a bank statement of your current funds.