+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting Info from Access to Information Act with Expired PR Card

edgeacef22

Sep 27, 2016
So my subject title pretty much sums it up, I just landed in Canada with an expired PR card and am a long way from fulfilling my residency obligations, so I'm very wary of getting reported. I heard from a friend about the Access to Information Act and how I can learn exactly everything CA knows about my situation, which is that I've been out of the country for a number of years and my PR card expired during that time.

Is it wise to request info, or will it risk getting my expired PR card caught and sent to review? Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Were you reported when you returned to Canada by CBSA? If not, why worry about it? Wait till you are in compliance, apply for a new card and you're done.

edgeacef22

Sep 27, 2016
I was not reported, but I'm not sure about living for two years with an expired card. Wouldn't it be difficult? Being unable to provide a valid form of ID for employers, being unable to acquire a driver's license, etc.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
edgeacef22 said:
I was not reported, but I'm not sure about living for two years with an expired card. Wouldn't it be difficult? Being unable to provide a valid form of ID for employers, being unable to acquire a driver's license, etc.
If you was not reported then no need to worry. My case will help you to understand the process.

My pr card was expired on July 2012 i enter in Canada only one week before PR card expiry date.

I applied to renew my PR card in 2015 approximate after 3 years of physical presence.

As expected delay my application went to secondary review and Nov 2016 i received my card in mail.

So if your are not reported and you are applying after fulfill the requirements CIC can delay your case but for sure you will get your new PR card.