+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requested to take the oath from outside of Canada and 6 months later, still waiting to be rescheduled. What can I do to finalize the process?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just sharing my experience here. My wife was scheduled for oath on Jan 15. Unfortunately her father passed away on Jan 11 and she went to India. She tried appearing for the oath from India virtually and explained the situation to the Immigration official but she was denied. Adding to the misery, she lost her bag with Indian passport and Canadian PR Card so she was stuck in India with no documents to even come back to Canada. She wrote to CIC but got the standard response that bwrxejlb has pasted above. She explained the situation and shared her father's death certificate along with copy of police report stating that she lost her passport and Canadian PR card. No response from CIC. Thankfully she applied & got her Indian passport in 2 weeks within India and applied for her Canadian PR card online and also got it in 2 weeks with urgency request. There is lot of uncertainty around taking oath from outside Canada and the wait could be really very long and again no assurance of a positive response. So better plan travel and land in Canada to take oath.
If in India due to the death of a family member your spouse should be returning to Canada relatively soon to rejoin her family in Canada and her life so there really shouldn’t be an issue doing the oath in Canada.