+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for Supplementary Evidence (Post Bill C6 Applicants only)

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I was asked to submit a response to the Request for Supplementary Evidence (earlier known as Residency Questionnaire). My Text happened on April 11th & I submitted my response to IRCC in Scarborough, ON on May 7th. I know every application is different & timelines for decisions on applications vary with the complexity of each application & the officer working on the case. Yet, I wanted to create this threat to connect with those applicants that are in similar situation across the province/country.

Please comment on this thread in case you have had similar situation with getting an Request for Supplementary Evidence. Let us track the time it is taking on average so it can keep our anxiety levels low.

Thanks.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

run-Man

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
did you have too many travel stamps on your passports?? did the interviewer mentioned the possibility of sending a RQ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I was asked to submit a response to the Request for Supplementary Evidence (earlier known as Residency Questionnaire). My Text happened on April 11th & I submitted my response to IRCC in Scarborough, ON on May 7th. I know every application is different & timelines for decisions on applications vary with the complexity of each application & the officer working on the case. Yet, I wanted to create this threat to connect with those applicants that are in similar situation across the province/country.

Please comment on this thread in case you have had similar situation with getting an Request for Supplementary Evidence. Let us track the time it is taking on average so it can keep our anxiety levels low.

Thanks.
Please identify the formal name of the form, such as CIT 0171 (11-2017) or CIT 0250 (10-2017) or CIT 0205 (10-2017) or whatever it shows in the lower left corner. Thank you.

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
Yes, I have had a long history of frequent travels to US but I have supported my application with all possible evidence such as FOIA US Records, ICES Record from CBSA. Complete copy of my passports. I have kept & provided to them a very meticulous record of all my travel.

I spoke with a lawyer recently & she mentioned that Request for Supplementary Evidence is no different from Residency Questionaire (mostly issued prior to Bill C6).

The officer told me that they didn't receive my travel history (looks like they had lost it); so I shared it once again with them & hope they will soon complete processing of my application.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
Yes, I have had a long history of frequent travels to US but I have supported my application with all possible evidence such as FOIA US Records, ICES Record from CBSA. Complete copy of my passports. I have kept & provided to them a very meticulous record of all my travel.

I spoke with a lawyer recently & she mentioned that Request for Supplementary Evidence is no different from Residency Questionaire (mostly issued prior to Bill C6).

The officer told me that they didn't receive my travel history (looks like they had lost it); so I shared it once again with them & hope they will soon complete processing of my application.

Yes I done my test feb 14(Montreal)
Got RQed 0520 march 15 replied to it days afterwards then nothing since then STill IP...
didn’t travel much at all BUT moved from Vancouver to mtrl days before I applied.
Sad story.. been in Canada 11years.....

Last edited:

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Yes I done my test feb 14(Montreal)
Got RQed 0520 march 15 replied to it days afterwards then nothing since then STill IP...
didn’t travel much at all BUT moved from Vancouver to mtrl days before I applied.
Sad story.. been in Canada 11years.....
Hm... That's probably a flag in their system. I moved about 6 months before I applied and that was no problem at all. Did you become eligible a few days after the move? We were so busy moving stuff and looking for a place to live, I didn't have time even if I was eligible for citizenship..

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
I have a very similar situation terms of number of years since a PR. I became PR in 2005. Beyond a point, contact your local MP and ask them for help as they are people elected - Government appointed officials meant to help in such situations. I have also contacted my local MP & he is doing monthly follow ups. Good luck to all of us with RQs in Process. The government should understand that we have also a finite amount of time in life to meet our goals & ambitions in life that we thought with Canadian Citizenship would be much quicker to achiev.

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
Hm... That's probably a flag in their system. I moved about 6 months before I applied and that was no problem at all. Did you become eligible a few days after the move? We were so busy moving stuff and looking for a place to live, I didn't have time even if I was eligible for citizenship..
Not at all,I applied with 1330 days as PR out of the 1000 now required!
I think I agree with you it’s a trigger in the system to look into the guenuity of your stay! Another theory I had was the fact that “Quebec” knew nothing about me so maybe they double check everything in details...
Oh well... stupid as f! Sooner or later... I kinda wish they actually decline me and I go to courts... (got nothing to hide, never had not even a parking ticket)...

maverickdexter

Star Member
May 30, 2018

Hi Can you share your timeline for FOIA request? I submitted the request end of March and still waiting for the records.Thanks in advance

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Please identify the formal name of the form, such as CIT 0171 (10-2017) or CIT 0250 (10-2017) or CIT 0205 (05-2017) or CIT 0520 (10-2017) or whatever it shows in the lower left corner. Thank you.

I realize this is a repeated request. It would be helpful if you could provide this information.

This information helps the forum track not just what various forms are being used but the course of proceedings related to the different forms, ranging from when in the process it was received to the timeline. Moreover, it can be especially helpful to those who receive the forms in terms of assessing whether IRCC has serious concerns or suspicions, thus requiring the applicant to more thoroughly prove the case, or whether the request is more about verification.

For example, CIT 0520, as referenced by vancouverbc2013, is a type of RQ but it does NOT replace RQ. As of a few months ago some participants have reported receiving this version of RQ still titled "Request for Documentary Evidence of your Residence in Canada" and this is generally known as "RQ-lite," a less extensive request for additional information and documentation as to presence and residency.

There have been reports of applicants still receiving the full blown version of RQ, that is CIT 0171 who applied AFTER the Bill C-6 3/5 rules took effect (October 11, 2017).

THERE IS USUALLY A BIG DIFFERENCE between these two. The CIT 0520, received by vancouverbc2013, is NOT nearly so onerous as the full blown version of RQ but the more significant difference is that there are many reports of NO SIGNIFICANT DELAY for many who respond to the the CIT 0520 and NO WHERE NEAR the lengthy timeline associated with full blown versions of RQ.

Moreover, generally a response to the CIT 0520 should focus on providing specifically what is requested. No need to include additional evidence (and it may be counter productive to do so). In contrast, those who get CIT 0171 should seriously consider including as much RELEVANT evidence as they can gather. The CIT 0171 can signal that IRCC has serious suspicions about the applicant's information and in particular the applicant's account of dates present in Canada. Historically receiving CIT 0171 appears to automatically make it a presence-case (residency-case) unless and until IRCC is satisfied sufficient proof of presence has been provided. And this probably triggers the need for a Citizenship Officer to complete the File Preparation Template for the case, which almost certainly will add a lot of time to the timeline (in contrast, CIT 0520 probably does NOT trigger the utilization of the FPT.)

And, obviously, it would be helpful to know if IRCC has implemented an entirely new form for requesting additional information or documentation to show presence.

THE Version DATE of the form is also IMPORTANT. This is indicated in parentheses following the formal name of the form. For example, most recent versions of RQ forms reported are "CIT (10-2017)" and "CIT 0171 (10-2017)" which are, respectively, the versions implemented immediately following the date the Bill C-6 3/5 rules took effect in October 2017.

I realize this may seem to be about technicalities which you might think are not important to you, BUT if you want information from others which can shed light on what you might expect, it is critical to know which form you received. This is particularly so for those who, like you, are issued these requests AFTER attending test and interview.

A separate question for other applicants: Is there anyone else who received any of the RQ versions after obtaining GCMS notes? Might be (probably more likely it is) a mere coincidence here, the fact the OP made an ATIP request AND then got RQ'd, but given how unusual it is for applicants to obtain GCMS reports AND how unusual RQ is these days, the fact of both for the same individual at the least invites asking to see if there is any similar correlation among other applicants.

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
Hi Can you share your timeline for FOIA request? I submitted the request end of March and still waiting for the records.Thanks in advance
It takes 3 months & you can call them to follow up on your case, if you need to. Try calling first thing in the morning so you can actually get to speak with someone otherwise it is a long wait & more than likely you don't get an actual officer to talk to.

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
Thanks guys. I checked & the version I received was CIT0520 (06-2015) E.

I don't know whether or not anyone has any information on this version of the Request for Supplementary Evidence. I have from my side given IRCC everything under the roof that I had & now it is up to them to decide everything.

The name of game is waiting...& that I will as there is no other way out anyway!

Good luck everyone & I hope we get our applications processed soon.

mg7

Sep 19, 2017
Ahh, one question...How long does it take for the Citizenship Officer to process response to a CIT0520 (06-2015) E.
I made my submission nearly 1 month ago with no response yet.

Has anyone recently had any experience with this?

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
if you've not attached your passport bio pages, I suggest you do... Just login into your account. Once you do, in a few days, you will receive a confirmation email from an agent indicating a date of completion.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks guys. I checked & the version I received was CIT0520 (06-2015) E.

I don't know whether or not anyone has any information on this version of the Request for Supplementary Evidence. I have from my side given IRCC everything under the roof that I had & now it is up to them to decide everything.
This is what many refer to as RQ-lite. Mostly still in a no-reason-to-worry zone.

While any non-routine processing is NOT good news, getting this version is relatively good news. Many report very little delay in processing time after responding to the CIT 0520. This request is usually (not always) to verify certain information.

It does not (not ordinarily) signal any particular suspicions or outright concerns. It does NOT (not ordinarily) mean the application is approached as a presence-case or residency-case (that is, it is NOT a case in which IRCC is overtly questioning the applicant's account of presence in Canada).

It is NOT full-blown RQ. It is definitely NOT a version of RQ implemented after Bill C-6 (if it is CIT 0520 (06-2015) the version you received not only pre-dates the effective date of Bill C-6, it pre-dates even when Bill C-6 was tabled, and indeed is a version implemented back under the Harper government). This form (a somewhat earlier version) was first being reported in forum posts, as I recall, back in 2014 or perhaps late 2013. Not much new about it.

Thus there was no reason to give IRCC everything under the roof . . . unless by that you mean everything they asked for that you have.

IRCC could still have questions or concerns after you have submitted what you have. BUT the more commonly reported scenario is that things go fairly smoothly forward, most progressing to the oath within timelines comparable to ROUTINELY processed applications.

ODDS are GOOD, assuming you have appropriately provided the information requested, that things will GO WELL and relatively quickly (recognizing what "quickly" means in the context of processing by a BUREAUCRACY, which tends to not be so quick as most would like).

Timeline Reminder: there appears to be widespread misconceptions about the routine timeline. Many, many seem to expect their application will be processed comparable to those done the fastest. In CONTRAST most applications will take at least twice that long and there are many indications that large numbers of ROUTINELY processed applicants will encounter timelines approaching at least eight or ten months, up to a year, OR LONGER, nothing wrong, nothing amiss, NO reason to be anxious, NO delays, just how long IRCC will take to fully process the application and schedule the oath. There are also some signs that IRCC is straining under the load from the surge in applications made since October 11, 2017 and the timelines may be even longer.