+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

request for fingerprints for Citizenship in Mar 2021

MittiDaBawa

Jul 11, 2015
Hey guys,

I had applied for Canadian Citizenship in May 2020 and had received the AOR in Oct 2020.
In Mr 2021, I have received a letter for providing fingerprints citing section 21 and 22 of Citizenship.

My question is if anyone else has received fingerpritning request. Is this part of the process or an anomaly.?The letter makes it sound like there maybe a need to ascertain identity.

Here is the text:
"The Citizenship Regulations require that we verify that applicants are free of any prohibitions from a security and criminal standpoint. Section 21 of the Citizenship Act stipulates that no period may be counted as a period of physical presence during which a person has been under a probation order, has been a paroled inmate, or has served a term of imprisonment. Section 22 of the Citizenship Act provides that a person cannot become a Canadian citizen in certain circumstances. These circumstances are based on when your citizenship application was signed. Please visit our website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/situations.asp to review details about the circumstances which could prevent you from becoming a Canadian citizen. Therefore, all applications for citizenship are sent for a search of criminal records, using the biographical information on the application form, to determine whether there may be cases which require further review with regard to the provisions of section 21 or 22 of the Citizenship Act. Where there is an indication that a criminal record may be involved, it is essential to ensure that there is no error in the identity of the applicant concerned, therefore we request fingerprints to verify the applicant’s identity."

Any help is welcome. Thank you!

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Reactions: hungkubu

Raven_TL

Feb 4, 2016
Hey guys,

I had applied for Canadian Citizenship in May 2020 and had received the AOR in Oct 2020.
In Mr 2021, I have received a letter for providing fingerprints citing section 21 and 22 of Citizenship.

My question is if anyone else has received fingerpritning request. Is this part of the process or an anomaly.?The letter makes it sound like there maybe a need to ascertain identity.

Here is the text:
"The Citizenship Regulations require that we verify that applicants are free of any prohibitions from a security and criminal standpoint. Section 21 of the Citizenship Act stipulates that no period may be counted as a period of physical presence during which a person has been under a probation order, has been a paroled inmate, or has served a term of imprisonment. Section 22 of the Citizenship Act provides that a person cannot become a Canadian citizen in certain circumstances. These circumstances are based on when your citizenship application was signed. Please visit our website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/situations.asp to review details about the circumstances which could prevent you from becoming a Canadian citizen. Therefore, all applications for citizenship are sent for a search of criminal records, using the biographical information on the application form, to determine whether there may be cases which require further review with regard to the provisions of section 21 or 22 of the Citizenship Act. Where there is an indication that a criminal record may be involved, it is essential to ensure that there is no error in the identity of the applicant concerned, therefore we request fingerprints to verify the applicant’s identity."

Any help is welcome. Thank you!
Hello there, what were the instructions you were provided on how to submit your fingerprints? Can you please share?

MittiDaBawa

Jul 11, 2015
Hello there, what were the instructions you were provided on how to submit your fingerprints? Can you please share?
I was asked to submit digital fingerprints to RCMP via an authorized fingerprinting company. Also there were instructions that RCMP should forward the result directly to Canada Citizenship office.

An agency I contacted for fingerprinting suggested i get the fingerprint background report from RCMP mailed to myself and then forward it to citizenship office. Thats what i did. My mail package got delivered. I will wait. for a few days to see if my status changes.

What are your instructions?

Canadagens

Sep 13, 2021
@MittiDaBawa please advise how did it go for you? I got the same letter same instructions where they asked the results to be forwarded to the Vancouver office, I am not sure how should I tell RCMP to forward them there?

Canadagens

Sep 13, 2021
@Canadagens I think if the RCMP sends the report to you, you may forward it to CIC.
Hanji brother I am thinking the same, but just want to make sure that if someone has actually done that.. if I remember correctly for the PR they send to home and then we open that letter and attached in our file.. for the citizenship is that the same procedure or not, that's what I am trying to understand here.

Basically, if I receive the letter at home from RCMP
I open the letter, (make sure all is good)
then forwarded that latter to the IRCC office?

are these are going to be the steps? ^^

amitsmeet

Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend recently got one done and the agent send the reports directly to CIC and gave a letter with all the details. They said CIC shall receive by a weeks time.

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Hi Friends,

I also got the fingerprint request. How much time does RCMP takes. The letter I received does not have any location mentioned.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/submit-fingerprints.html

It gives three options:
Local police - Which I last checked says they don't do finger print check
RCMP - Need to search where is there office
RCMP-accredited fingerprint company - I did some google search and I guess https://commissionaires.ca/ does that, anyone has done it from them?

Please share your experience and timelines . Also please advise from where I should get this done and can private company https://commissionaires.ca/ can do it fast or they are the same.

amitsmeet

Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello @livingincanada2016, I am not sure where you are located, but for my spouse, I went to a private company who got the FP done in like 5 minutes and send them off to RCMP also advising RCMP to send them to CIC. They gave us a receipt for reference. CIC got the FP and updated in roughly 6-7 weeks.

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Hanji brother I am thinking the same, but just want to make sure that if someone has actually done that.. if I remember correctly for the PR they send to home and then we open that letter and attached in our file.. for the citizenship is that the same procedure or not, that's what I am trying to understand here.

Basically, if I receive the letter at home from RCMP
I open the letter, (make sure all is good)
then forwarded that latter to the IRCC office?

are these are going to be the steps? ^^
I got the results by mail as well. I am from NS. Can you share the details brother what is the process to send the results to IRCC.

ronwahd

Star Member
Jul 23, 2021
Gatineau
For those who want RCMP to send the FP result to their mail address. I guess you save a couple of weeks with that. Her is my story.
I got FP request in early 2020, and BG was become completed after a few months at that time. It took time because ot COVID. On Nov 3, 2021, my BG changed from "Completedk to "In progress", I knew that they ask for a new FP since the old one was expired. I went to a FP agency. I took the FP using the old FP request paper because there is no date on the FP request and worked for the 2nd FP. I asked the agency to send the FP result to my address. I received the result from RCMP after a week. I opened the envelop and send the original result to IRCC with FedEx. They received it on Nov 14, 2021. Then, I guess due to an error on the tracker again it showed me they have received the FP on Dec 1, 2021 . BG become completed on Dec 2, 2021.

Therefore, even if it is the first time you are asked for FP, it is totally fine to ask the agency to send the FP to your address once you received the FP request. When you received the FP result by mail from RCMP, forward it to IRCC. You can track it when they have receive it. Here is my full timeline for those are in FP period.

Dec 2, 2021 : Background verification status has been updated to Completed

Dec 1, 2021 Fingerprint results: Received New update We received your fingerprint information on December 1, 2021 and will review them shortly. Thank you!

Nov 14, 2021 Fingerprint results: Received We received your fingerprint information on November 14, 2021 and will review them shortly. Thank you!

Nov 9, 2021 Fingerprints required Background verification We sent you a letter or email with instructions to submit your fingerprints.

Nov 3, 2021 Background verification activity status updated Background verification Background verification status has been updated to In progress

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
For those who want RCMP to send the FP result to their mail address. I guess you save a couple of weeks with that. Her is my story.
I got FP request in early 2020, and BG was become completed after a few months at that time. It took time because ot COVID. On Nov 3, 2021, my BG changed from "Completedk to "In progress", I knew that they ask for a new FP since the old one was expired. I went to a FP agency. I took the FP using the old FP request paper because there is no date on the FP request and worked for the 2nd FP. I asked the agency to send the FP result to my address. I received the result from RCMP after a week. I opened the envelop and send the original result to IRCC with FedEx. They received it on Nov 14, 2021. Then, I guess due to an error on the tracker again it showed me they have received the FP on Dec 1, 2021 . BG become completed on Dec 2, 2021.

Therefore, even if it is the first time you are asked for FP, it is totally fine to ask the agency to send the FP to your address once you received the FP request. When you received the FP result by mail from RCMP, forward it to IRCC. You can track it when they have receive it. Here is my full timeline for those are in FP period.

Dec 2, 2021 : Background verification status has been updated to Completed

Dec 1, 2021 Fingerprint results: Received New update We received your fingerprint information on December 1, 2021 and will review them shortly. Thank you!

Nov 14, 2021 Fingerprint results: Received We received your fingerprint information on November 14, 2021 and will review them shortly. Thank you!

Nov 9, 2021 Fingerprints required Background verification We sent you a letter or email with instructions to submit your fingerprints.

Nov 3, 2021 Background verification activity status updated Background verification Background verification status has been updated to In progress
Thank you for sharing the information. I got the fingerprints from my local police station and it is sealed envelop. I know you opened the envelop and send those one. Can I open the letter or not required. The letter I received has local police stamp on it and on official local policy logo and address are printed on the envelop.

Thanks.