+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reporting illegal cash paid work in Canada when applying for Express Entry

kero12.3

Jan 26, 2020
Hello,

I'm now applying for Canadian Permanent Residence via the Express Entry program since I meet all eligibility criteria.

In 2017, I was in Canada for 6 months under a visistor's visa. To have a little bit of extra cash while travelling, I worked under the table, cash in hand, for a small construction firm (2 listed employees, very small entrepreneur) for a few weeks.

To meet the program's work experience criteria, I wouldn't have to report this job, as I have 3+ years of well documented work experience whithin my study field.

However, I am worried about background checks from CIC officers about my illegal work in Canada. I have to say that I never signed a contract with this firm, and my name was never listed on any payslip. I was allways paid cash, so there are no traceable documents that can prove I was working under the table.

Anyways, I don't think this is a big deal, and I don't think there's a reason to report it. I know I'm at risk of getting my application refused in the VERY remote case of getting caught (I don't know how that would be possible?), so there's allways a little fear. However, mentioning that I worked in Canada illegally is probably not a good solution either to get my application accepted.

I'm hoping to hear back from you about eventual problems this may cause in the long run, and I'm eager to hear about similar experiences in case anybody has one to offer. I'm open for any opinions and suggestions :)

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
I wouldn't bring it up and simply move on with my life. I'm no legal expert, but working illegally will lead to a rejected application. Here's a couple of articles that I found:
http://www.cnmag.ca/jobs-consequences-of-illegal-work
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=380

While I completely disapprove of what you did, I'm a firm believer that realizing one's own mistakes early on, and not repeating them again, is life's way of putting you on the right path. You disobeyed the rules, but a few weeks of unpaid work isn't going to hurt Canada's tax system really. Karma is already doing its thing by instilling that fear in you. Depending on who you are as a person, it may take a while for you to have that peace of mind.

Now after you've become a PR and later on a Citizen, I'm pretty sure there are ways to find out if you've ever done illegal work, but for that to happen, you probably need to have pissed off someone important for them to hire a private investigator to track your activities or something. If that gets reported, it could have serious consequences.

tl;dr
Your application will probably get rejected if you mention your illegal work. If after you become a PR (or even a citizen), someone reports your illegal work activities with proper evidence, it can lead to a case that could potentially revoke your PR (or citizenship) if you're found to be guilty.

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I'm now applying for Canadian Permanent Residence via the Express Entry program since I meet all eligibility criteria.

In 2017, I was in Canada for 6 months under a visistor's visa. To have a little bit of extra cash while travelling, I worked under the table, cash in hand, for a small construction firm (2 listed employees, very small entrepreneur) for a few weeks.

To meet the program's work experience criteria, I wouldn't have to report this job, as I have 3+ years of well documented work experience whithin my study field.

However, I am worried about background checks from CIC officers about my illegal work in Canada. I have to say that I never signed a contract with this firm, and my name was never listed on any payslip. I was allways paid cash, so there are no traceable documents that can prove I was working under the table.

Anyways, I don't think this is a big deal, and I don't think there's a reason to report it. I know I'm at risk of getting my application refused in the VERY remote case of getting caught (I don't know how that would be possible?), so there's allways a little fear. However, mentioning that I worked in Canada illegally is probably not a good solution either to get my application accepted.

I'm hoping to hear back from you about eventual problems this may cause in the long run, and I'm eager to hear about similar experiences in case anybody has one to offer. I'm open for any opinions and suggestions :)
What was your question again?