+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Replacement of Study permit when it is lost

abhivlsi1989

Jul 15, 2019
Hi,
I am Abhishek Chakraborty and currently, I am studying Masters in Electrical Engineering at Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec. Recently I shifted my living apartment and at the time of shifting, I lost my study permit. Then I searched through the internet about what can be done if study permit is lost and found out the procedure about how to replace it. So I downloaded the imm5009e form, filled it up, made 30$ CAD payment, arranged all other documents and put all those documents in an envelope and sent it to the address given in the website. After 2 days, I found that one of the representatives from the immigration office received my document. In the website, I found that it will take a maximum of 1 month to get back my study permit. They should send the duplicate hard copy of my study permit to my address. I should get an email when they will start to process my application. I sent my docs on 20th June and today is 15th July, but still, I haven't got any email from them. After 1 week, I have an India trip(22nd July) and I will come back from India on 19th August. My question is that if I don't get my study permit before 22nd July, then at the time of coming back from India, will they issue my study permit at the port of entry? What kinds of problem I can face if I cant show my original study permit at the port of entry while coming back from India? I am expecting your replies as soon as possible.

Maxsharma12

Jun 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I am Abhishek Chakraborty and currently, I am studying Masters in Electrical Engineering at Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec. Recently I shifted my living apartment and at the time of shifting, I lost my study permit. Then I searched through the internet about what can be done if study permit is lost and found out the procedure about how to replace it. So I downloaded the imm5009e form, filled it up, made 30$ CAD payment, arranged all other documents and put all those documents in an envelope and sent it to the address given in the website. After 2 days, I found that one of the representatives from the immigration office received my document. In the website, I found that it will take a maximum of 1 month to get back my study permit. They should send the duplicate hard copy of my study permit to my address. I should get an email when they will start to process my application. I sent my docs on 20th June and today is 15th July, but still, I haven't got any email from them. After 1 week, I have an India trip(22nd July) and I will come back from India on 19th August. My question is that if I don't get my study permit before 22nd July, then at the time of coming back from India, will they issue my study permit at the port of entry? What kinds of problem I can face if I cant show my original study permit at the port of entry while coming back from India? I am expecting your replies as soon as possible.

You should be good as long as you are having a valid TR VISA stamp on your passport.

source:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1308&top=15

abhivlsi1989

Jul 15, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply. I have a valid Canada visa and it will expire in August 2021. Study permit will describe the purpose of my staying in Canada. I have the soft copy of my study permit and I will take the print out of that one and will show at the port of entry while coming back from India. I am worried thinking of that if I can't show the hard copy(the original one) of my study permit at the port of entry, I can face some problems. Plese help me with some proper information.

Maxsharma12

Jun 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your reply. I have a valid Canada visa and it will expire in August 2021. Study permit will describe the purpose of my staying in Canada. I have the soft copy of my study permit and I will take the print out of that one and will show at the port of entry while coming back from India. I am worried thinking of that if I can't show the hard copy(the original one) of my study permit at the port of entry, I can face some problems. Plese help me with some proper information.
If you will search old posts in the forum, you will get same information.

In addition to your photocopy of old study permit , you should take up all relevant documents which proves that you applied for replacement of lost document. You should be good.,

good luck !

Last edited:

aduarte

Nov 10, 2019
Hi,
Hey!! im in the same situation right now, did everything go okay??

NehaShivangi

Nov 24, 2020
Hi, I just read your post. I had applied for my duplicate study permit over a month ago and I have no update on it. can you confirm how long it took for you to get the duplicate documents?

Ksran dhillon

Nov 8, 2020
Hi, I just read your post. I had applied for my duplicate study permit over a month ago and I have no update on it. can you confirm how long it took for you to get the duplicate documents?
Hi ,i am also in the same boat ,can you confirm how long it took for you to get the duplicate documents?

NehaShivangi

Nov 24, 2020
Hi ,i am also in the same boat ,can you confirm how long it took for you to get the duplicate documents?
Hey, call the verification of status office in canada. Tell them about your situation. They will just re-print the document and send it to you within a month. No need to apply for duplicate. If you have already paid for the duplicate document tell them on call that you want a refund.

OPS

Mar 26, 2021
Hey, call the verification of status office in canada. Tell them about your situation. They will just re-print the document and send it to you within a month. No need to apply for duplicate. If you have already paid for the duplicate document tell them on call that you want a refund.
Hi could you please share their number. Thank you

Ranga0585

Jan 6, 2019
Hi.
I laminated my study permit and when i went to ICBC office to apply for license they rejected the document saying its laminated. Now i need to apply for a new one and just wondering how long does it take to get a new document.
Also please share the number to call and get the details. Your response will save me from anxiety

Thank you

Lustre1

Oct 21, 2021
Does anyone have the contact number for the verification of status office.?