+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting an apartment without a job!

TN89

May 7, 2020
Hey all,
I’m moving from the US to Ottawa next month, and I would like to know how to rent an apartment as a newcomer without a job? In the US, they usually ask for a job as a proof of income,, I believe Canada will be the same. So, how to rent an apartment without it? And, is it hard to get one? I’m moving with my wife and child so we do need our own place.
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey all,
I’m moving from the US to Ottawa next month, and I would like to know how to rent an apartment as a newcomer without a job? In the US, they usually ask for a job as a proof of income,, I believe Canada will be the same. So, how to rent an apartment without it? And, is it hard to get one? I’m moving with my wife and child so we do need our own place.
Thanks!
Others have offered to pay multiple months in advance. Showing your amount of savings to show that you have enough money to pay the rent for an extended period of time without a job is potentially another option. The recession and lack of hiring will likely concern many landlords so showing you have savings to cover the rent if you are unable to find a job is a go idea. Would personally not rent a place until you have found a job. This is a tough job market and you shouldn't be limiting yourself to one city.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hey all,
Thanks!
I just looked at a condo in Toronto for rent yesterday . This is what was required:
Two pay stubs ( recent , within a month )
Credit report (recent )
Two references
Letter from employer indicating salary for the year , date of employment
Now this was done thru a real estate agent , it may differ if you’re dealing directly thru a landlord . I’d show that you’re financially solvent , pay more than first & last , and as mentioned a financial statement showing you have access to funds moving forward to pay the rent .Also check to see how long the unit has been on the market , if it’s been awhile, the landlord may be motivated to get a tenant
Don’t know how the Ottawa market is, but the tide has turned in Toronto where the renters have the upper hand .
However, some landlords haven’t gotten the notice yet that we’re in a pandemic and still expecting a premium Don’t fall prey

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
I would advise to go for apartments where you can directly talk to the landlord and not use a realtor.
Yes, credit history, personal references, pay stubs and letter of employment are documents you usually need, but if you don't have some or any of them you can still get your foot in the door when you can directly talk with the landlord and explain your situation. kijiji.ca is a good resource for these kinds of apartments (but also be aware of possible scams).
Some landlords might be open to talk about the requirements and adapt to your situation (e.g. show proof of funds or pay multiple months of rent in advance).