+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting a flat before landing- Nova Scotia

wanbetty

May 7, 2014
Hi guys,

We have received our PR and we are looking to land in the next 2 months or so .
When we look at all the apartments online- they require reference letters, credit history etc, that we dont have .
I contacted one property company about an 875 dollar bachelor suite I saw on kijiji and told him we were about to be newly landed immigrants.
He recommended a 2 bed 2000 dollar apartment instead.
I have written a few property companies, but waiting on their response.
Question : is it better to rent airbnb or a hotel until we look at the apartment ourselves OR
Is it possible to get into a monthly lease or 3 month lease online at a good price without all these Canadian docs? We definitely dont want to get into a 1 year lease without seeing the place in person .
Is there a way to get around the credit history, reference issue or should the immigration office help ( we are PNPs)
Any tips on the HRM will also be welcome,

Sambisa Valley

Star Member
Nov 18, 2014
It is advisable you wait for those other replies.

Secondly i think the size of your family will strictly determine the type of apartment you should secure in accordance with Canada tenancy law.

It is funny, but i think seeing is believing. Most internet pictures are catchy and they may not represent reality.

As a new immigrant, i am optimistic will have a way round all the documentations.

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
wanbetty said:
Hi guys,

We have received our PR and we are looking to land in the next 2 months or so .
When we look at all the apartments online- they require reference letters, credit history etc, that we dont have .
I contacted one property company about an 875 dollar bachelor suite I saw on kijiji and told him we were about to be newly landed immigrants.
He recommended a 2 bed 2000 dollar apartment instead.
I have written a few property companies, but waiting on their response.
Question : is it better to rent airbnb or a hotel until we look at the apartment ourselves OR
Is it possible to get into a monthly lease or 3 month lease online at a good price without all these Canadian docs? We definitely dont want to get into a 1 year lease without seeing the place in person .
Is there a way to get around the credit history, reference issue or should the immigration office help ( we are PNPs)
Any tips on the HRM will also be welcome,
Hi Friend,
I am here in Canada for the past 2 years it is impossible to to rent a flat before landing. there are some scams online, I advise you to land and look for a place.

Thanks.

canadaforall.

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)
As a new immigrant, I can tell you that it is way way harder to get apartment, even in the cities like Montreal.

I landed on 12th April 2015 & had pre-booked a place for a week via Airbnb b4 my arrival. Earlier, I had it booked on Homeaway but landlord cancelled it 4 days before my flight. So, I had to arrange in emergency via Airbnb (Airbnb have their own fees, whereas Homeaway got no fees)

After that, we looked for an apartment. Almost all good ones asked for references and require credit check. So, we had to look for another one on temporary basis. In the meantime, I also got UPS mailbox and gave that address for all of my official paperwork purposes. Later on, we got one apartment for a month via RAGQ (but condition of the house was quite bad and it was way too expensive). During this time, we looked at many properties, but many people had issues with a family of 5 & zero credit history. Finally, we found an apartment after 1 month of landing, but they asked for two things.

i) Guarantor (who is already residing in Montreal and is of good standing, OR
ii) 3 months advance payment.

We opted for the second one and got our lease for one year. The apartment is very nice and comfy.

sindhugururaj

Dec 5, 2014
XpressEnterprise said:
As a new immigrant, I can tell you that it is way way harder to get apartment, even in the cities like Montreal.

I landed on 12th April 2015 & had pre-booked a place for a week via Airbnb b4 my arrival. Earlier, I had it booked on Homeaway but landlord cancelled it 4 days before my flight. So, I had to arrange in emergency via Airbnb (Airbnb have their own fees, whereas Homeaway got no fees)

After that, we looked for an apartment. Almost all good ones asked for references and require credit check. So, we had to look for another one on temporary basis. In the meantime, I also got UPS mailbox and gave that address for all of my official paperwork purposes. Later on, we got one apartment for a month via RAGQ (but condition of the house was quite bad and it was way too expensive). During this time, we looked at many properties, but many people had issues with a family of 5 & zero credit history. Finally, we found an apartment after 1 month of landing, but they asked for two things.

i) Guarantor (who is already residing in Montreal and is of good standing, OR
ii) 3 months advance payment.

We opted for the second one and got our lease for one year. The apartment is very nice and comfy.
hi
what is Airbnb and Homeaway