+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rental Lease Agreement Advice Pls

goldenkim

May 26, 2018
My boyfriend (sponsor) and me living together for 18 months and move together once but we don’t have a joint lease from both landlords. My boyfriend do sign a lease with the first landlord without my name on the lease and he lost this lease. And for the second landlord, it’s a hand writing lease with my bf name only. We don’t have any other joint documents too. But I can provide photo of living together in both house and text messages between me and the landlords and we do have friends can prove we live together too.

We do have the same mailing address but the address is my bf’s father’s place and we don’t live at there. I sent my documents (work permit), parcels which purchase online almost every months to his dad’s place. And my bank statement, insurance address is all under his dad’s address.

We’re not living together now because I’m back to my home country since 2 months ago due to my work permit expired. We plan to ask the landlords to sign us a lease again if they agree to sign. Do we need to tell cic if we resign the lease or provide any explanation letter of the reason we resign the lease ? Can we still apply common law without any joint document ? Please advice, thanks.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
My boyfriend (sponsor) and me living together for 18 months and move together once but we don’t have a joint lease from both landlords. My boyfriend do sign a lease with the first landlord without my name on the lease and he lost this lease. And for the second landlord, it’s a hand writing lease with my bf name only. We don’t have any other joint documents too. But I can provide photo of living together in both house and text messages between me and the landlords and we do have friends can prove we live together too.

We do have the same mailing address but the address is my bf’s father’s place and we don’t live at there. I sent my documents (work permit), parcels which purchase online almost every months to his dad’s place. And my bank statement, insurance address is all under his dad’s address.

We’re not living together now because I’m back to my home country since 2 months ago due to my work permit expired. We plan to ask the landlords to sign us a lease again if they agree to sign. Do we need to tell cic if we resign the lease or provide any explanation letter of the reason we resign the lease ? Can we still apply common law without any joint document ? Please advice, thanks.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
When you were in Canada did you have a Driver's License with same residential address as your boyfriend?

If you want to apply, and what you mention is all you have, then you'll have to prepare everything as best as you can and write a letter explaining the situation. If your relationship is genuine, it should be ok.

Try to get the lease from the period when you lived together in both your names, this is the main thing as prof of cohabitation. Did you have any bills with both your names or anything like that ?
Proof of same mailing address can be useful. Texts between you and your landlords might be useful too. Letters from your friends validating your relationship and your cohabitation is useful too.

For everything you don't have write an honest letter explaining why.