+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

rental increase in Alberta

hadasp

Nov 28, 2015
Hi guys,

I signed a lease in January for 6 months, in April I talked with the landlord and we deal to signed a new 6 months lease in July. He told me now, in June and by phone message that he is coming to sign the new lease but he is going to increase the rent, so we can sign the new lease for this new price or dont do it and we can stay all July and then moving out. We are leaving in a tourist town so is impossible to find a place now, in the summer, he know about that and this is not about the money is about respect people and do the things right. Can he increase the rent without notice, just 20 days before the old lease expired?

We now that in Alberta is illegal to increase the rent within 365 days since the first lease and we are pretty sure that he can do that without notice, we dont know if he doesnt know the laws or just want to take advantage about us so, do you know if he can refuse to signed a new lease if we refused the increase? Do you know if there is some official place where we can have information about this things?

He think that our best chance is to signed with the increase because we cant move right now but we will like to know if after signed the new lease we can put a legal complaint because he did something illegal

Thanks

Last edited:

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
I'm not an expert but it could be legal because you signed for 6 months so the landlord is not increasing the rent, he's asking for more information about new agreement

If you sign for 1 year he couldn't do it.

Anyways try to get info from Alberta government, perhaps in the website