+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rental Homes in Toronto--Guys who have landed please help

rnanndrews

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
Guys,

we are planning to travel to Toronto By May/June. Could any one let me know how you guys find rental home in Toronto ? We dont want to spend more than 1200 CAD for homes. I find some apartments in gottarent site. But how can we contact them ? Should be personally be there for any agreement initiation ? or we can do by call or online ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It will be quite difficult to rent an apartment without being in town. Many landlords/real estate agents/property managers would like to meet you in person. $1200 will definitely not allow you to rent a house in Toronto. You are likely looking at a 2 bedroom maximum in the outlying parts of Toronto.

aircanada

May 27, 2014
Landlords won't rent to or acknowledge people who haven't even landed yet. Try once you're actually in Toronto and book an airbnb for at least 3 weeks.

logic_bomb

Nov 3, 2015
get a hotel first in Toronto , then go with real estate agent or try realtor .ca , they dont charge tenants , but its highly unlikely you can find anything for 1200...
you can try 1 bedroom in Rental buildings (try viewit .ca) , viewit shows low rices but when you actually go thr , building manager asks for more rent

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are looking a lower cost rentals you will likely be dealing with property managers ot individual landlords. I would look at viewit.ca and kijiji.ca. Not sure what size of accomodation you are looking for but you may have to reassess your budget. Most rentals come unfurnished in Canada unless you are renting a room or an executive/short term rental which will cost much more. Depending on the rental you may be responsible for some or all the utilities. Things like cable and internet will add to your monthly cost as well as tenant's insurance which I recommend people get (minor cost).

rnanndrews

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks guys for your reply. I found few apartments in gottarent site with 1200 $. Will they ask for more if I call them ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks guys for your reply. I found few apartments in gottarent site with 1200 $. Will they ask for more if I call them ?
No but they will ask for 2 months rent before you move in. Also utilities may not be included. Some apartment buildings advertise the lowest rate for the building to attract people. Given the low vacancy rate most landlords want to meet their potential tenants in person before signing a lease and usually want a credit check or proof of employment or savings. You also should probably look at the apartment, around the neighbourhood or building before committing to a year of living there.

Scarberian

May 9, 2018
Guys,

we are planning to travel to Toronto By May/June. Could any one let me know how you guys find rental home in Toronto ? We dont want to spend more than 1200 CAD for homes. I find some apartments in gottarent site. But how can we contact them ? Should be personally be there for any agreement initiation ? or we can do by call or online ?
There are agents who take commission around $200 and can get you basement on rent - without the need to have credit history OR paychecks; but you will need to show bank balance at least.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are agents who take commission around $200 and can get you basement on rent - without the need to have credit history OR paychecks; but you will need to show bank balance at least.
Should be the landlord who pays the real estate agent and the fee is usually a month of rent.

Scarberian

May 9, 2018
Should be the landlord who pays the real estate agent and the fee is usually a month of rent.
I am not talking of 'real estate agents'. I know a friend who got basement on rent [after staying in 1 month airBNB] he just paid some $200 to that agent and got 1BR basement in Brampton {in Jan2018} month-on-month. He did not have any job or credit history.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah that's not legal.
To pay such agent of course.

However renting itself is legal. It is just almost nobody does it, since they want to protect themselves against bad tenants.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
I am not talking of 'real estate agents'. I know a friend who got basement on rent [after staying in 1 month airBNB] he just paid some $200 to that agent and got 1BR basement in Brampton {in Jan2018} month-on-month. He did not have any job or credit history.
Sorry to say this but the realtor duped him- I paid 4 months rent upfront and got a condo without a job letter or credit history.

Reactions: qureishi