+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing PR

daben

Jul 13, 2021
Hi

I am the main applicant for quebec pr application, and I landed with dependent applicants, my children(adults). However I am not able to live in Canada, and I landed purely for my children.

1. Would there be any issue if I renounce my PR just 3-4 months after landing?

2. Would my children be effected?(I am afraid that if I renounce it my children’s pr would be taken away too, since I am the main applicant)

thanks

daben

Jul 13, 2021
Do your children have the ability to meet the RO on their own?
What is RO? They are 20+ years old. They can file tax by theirselves etc. They are living in Canada for study and expected to live in Canada in the future. But I am not able to live in Canada, so I want to renounce it. Just their application for PR is under my name as my dependents applicants(secondary applicants)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
What is RO? They are 20+ years old. They can file tax by theirselves etc. They are living in Canada for study and expected to live in Canada in the future. But I am not able to live in Canada, so I want to renounce it. Just their application for PR is under my name as my dependents applicants(secondary applicants)
Residency obligation - as in, can they live in Canada on their own.

They are PRs in their own right. Your renunciation will not impact them, but neither would waiting 2 years to renounce.

daben

Jul 13, 2021
Residency obligation - as in, can they live in Canada on their own.

They are PRs in their own right. Your renunciation will not impact them, but neither would waiting 2 years to renounce.
Do I have to wait for 2 years renounce? I cannot renounce it right now? Because I have some other issue with other country benefits etc… I want to renounce ASAP

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Do I have to wait for 2 years renounce? I cannot renounce it right now? Because I have some other issue with other country benefits etc… I want to renounce ASAP
You can try to renounce whenever you want. I can't promise you what will happen. If you want to avoid questions of your children and whether or not you intended to get PR for children who were otherwise ineligible and never intended to be a PR yourself, waiting is better. But IRCC is not likely to ask those questions anyways.

daben

Jul 13, 2021
You can try to renounce whenever you want. I can't promise you what will happen. If you want to avoid questions of your children and whether or not you intended to get PR for children who were otherwise ineligible and never intended to be a PR yourself, waiting is better. But IRCC is not likely to ask those questions anyways.
Thanks so much