+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing PR Status

woodbird625

Jul 13, 2015
Hello,

My husband is planning to return to Canada in May 2017 but his PR Card has expired and he has not met his residency obligation.

If he renounce his PR Status, heis no longer a PR but can he apply for visit visa on the same day to return to Canada? Is he still eligible to become a PR again as I am planning to sponsor him this year as he is ready now to join us.

He is in Qatar right now and there are no visa processing there. Please advise us on what he will do and where he will apply his visa or renounce his PR status.

Thank you so much.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Again and again.. only the card expires, not the status. He is still a PR. Problem is to get on a plane and make it to Canada. If you travel through the US and then cross the border he will be most likely reported for breaching the residency obligation.

As to the sponsor thing, not sure one can renounce and then get sponsored. So far no commitment to Canada has been shown.

woodbird625

Jul 13, 2015
Thank you for your reply.

He cant get into plane from Middle East as well, even if he applies for a travel document it will show that he has not met his residency obligation.

So we dont know if the last resort to return to Canada is to renounce his PR and then apply for a visit visa.

We just need some clarifications about voluntarily renouncing his PR, will it affect if I sponsor him again. As we have read in cic.gc.ca website that once renounce the person can NO LONGER be a PR.

But I heard some people who renounced their PR status and was able to re-enter canada and applied for a PR the second time.

Appreciate your reply

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I wouldn't renounce the PR until you have exhausted all avenues first. Can he get into the US? If he can, I would try crossing the boarder first. He may get reported, but given you are a Citizen/PR, but they may not as they know that you can just reapply. Same if you appeal, they may just let it go if they know you will re-sponsor.

And yes, he can renounce and then you can reapply as his spouse. Make sure that you have supporting evidence of him still being your spouse as they may question extended time away from each other and the legitimacy of the marriage.

woodbird625

Jul 13, 2015
He cant travel as he doesn't have US Visa.

If he doesn't renounce the PR what's the best way he can re-enter here......

Thank you.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
woodbird625 said:
He cant travel as he doesn't have US Visa.

If he doesn't renounce the PR what's the best way he can re-enter here......

Thank you.
He can apply for a US visitors visa and then travel to US and from US to Canada by private car. If he doesn't plan to apply for US visit visa it's another matter.
He can renounce his PR status and technically there is no problem in you sponsoring him for PR but if he still can't maintain his residency obligations then there is no point. It is better then for him to get a Canada visit visa. Again technically there should be no problem for that as you (his spouse) are in Canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If he renounces he will need to apply for a TRV like everyone else who visits. This can prove difficult to acquire when you have close family in Canada, as there is the concern of overstaying. It seems particularly common when PR applications are in process. Many, but not all applicants for TRV's are refused while the PR is in process.

I would still try other avenues before giving up the PR.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
The best option is to fly to usa and enter via the border. The immigration officers are sometimes nice. He will. Eed to drive in in a private car and preferably you should be thereHim renouncing and re applyin for pr through you is very tricky. I dont think all cases are as smooth as the ones you have heard