+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing PR Issues

rmo114

Sep 14, 2018
Hello, I have been working in Canada for 3 and a half years and have Canadian masters education as well. I applied for express entry in 2016 and got called right away. I made a mistake of not announcing that I got married during my PR landing and my sponsorship application for my wife got rejected. I am thinking not to appeal since it is my mistake. Mistake happened cause lawyer did not walk me through all the rules in COPR and basically I was too busy honeymooning after the wedding and afterwards, during the PR landing i was actually missing a document that I was worried about(immigration officer did not care when I asked if missing this document is a problem) and did not even think to read through the COPR myself. Now, I want to renounce my PR and apply for express entry again(include my wife in that of course) since I believe i will have the points necessary to get a call right away again. I am just wondering, what are the issues that could come up? I do have a job and I know after I renounce my PR, i cannot work anymore but am allowed to stay 6 months. Is there a way to work around that? Like I want to be able to work but not illegally of course. Also, I heard CIC do not like renouncing a PR so is that gonna create issues with new express entry application?

Live life

May 6, 2017
Hello,

Can someone confirm if a person renounces his Canadian pr to avoid being taxed on worldwide income while his spouse and child continues living in Canada, will he be liable for tax on worldwide income after he is no longer a PR( moves to visitor visa).
Thanks

msucanthave

Nov 22, 2018
Hello, I have been working in Canada for 3 and a half years and have Canadian masters education as well. I applied for express entry in 2016 and got called right away. I made a mistake of not announcing that I got married during my PR landing and my sponsorship application for my wife got rejected. I am thinking not to appeal since it is my mistake. Mistake happened cause lawyer did not walk me through all the rules in COPR and basically I was too busy honeymooning after the wedding and afterwards, during the PR landing i was actually missing a document that I was worried about(immigration officer did not care when I asked if missing this document is a problem) and did not even think to read through the COPR myself. Now, I want to renounce my PR and apply for express entry again(include my wife in that of course) since I believe i will have the points necessary to get a call right away again. I am just wondering, what are the issues that could come up? I do have a job and I know after I renounce my PR, i cannot work anymore but am allowed to stay 6 months. Is there a way to work around that? Like I want to be able to work but not illegally of course. Also, I heard CIC do not like renouncing a PR so is that gonna create issues with new express entry application?
Hello. Did you go through with renouncing your PR status? I wanted to know since I'm going through the same thing. I was an accompanying dependent child of my mother who was the principal applicant for the permanent resident application under Live-in Caregiver program. I was a minor therefore my mother was the one who signed all the necessary paper needed for the application. I got pregnant while the application is in process. The application was not updated therefore my son became ineligible to be sponsored ever. I went ahead to sponsor my son and submitted the application when the pilot program was launched allowing undeclared family members to be sponsored. AOR received. Sponsorship approved. Medicals was done. Then I received an email from the immigration office in Manila saying that my son was not declared and examined at the time his sponsor became a PR therefore his excluded in the family class. It also states in the letter that he's ineligible to be sponsored under the public policy as I immigrated in Canada under a category that is not included in the public policy.

I'm thinking of withdrawing the application and renounce my PR status. I'm in Canada and I have a common-law partner who can sponsor for me inland and my son will be included in the application.

PS.

I had zero knowledge of Canadian Immigration Law before I came here to Canada. Zero knowledge about any immigration process. I thought I was SPONSORED by my mother all along. Turns out there's a difference between being SPONSORED and being a DEPENDENT CHILD(accompanying or non-accompanying)