+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing my PR status VS Trying to get PRTD

kokokokokoko

May 10, 2016
Can you tell me the differences in processing times, fees and documents needed for
a) renouncing my pr status?
and
b) applying for PRTD?

Thank you so much!

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Can you tell me the differences in processing times, fees and documents needed for
and
b) applying for PRTD?

Thank you so much!
PRTD processing time range from 2 weeks to 4 months depending on which visa office.

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
If
and
b) applying for PRTD?

Thank you so much!
Apply for an ETA and the system should pick up that you are a PR and will then give you an option to renounce your PR where you can upload the form and photos, that way the two transactions are done concurrently and everything is linked. The whole process can take as little as a couple of days.

6327farag

May 12, 2013
Would applying for an ETA and being refused due to holding PR status show on your passport when scanned at POE?

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
Would applying for an ETA and being refused due to holding PR status show on your passport when scanned at POE?
Not sure but an ETA cannot be obtained by a current PR until they have renounced.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
PRTD will take 2-4 weeks if you still meet your residency obligations. If you no longer need your RO and want a PRTD for H&C reasons you are looking at a much longer wait.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Not sure there is a published processing time for either but suspect renouncing PR might be 2 to 3 weeks and is free.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp#5781E5

A PRTD application can depend in which country you are applying from but could also be a couple weeks and costs 50 dollars.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp#pay-fee
Hello there. I would like to ask you how to go about renouncing PR status without a PR card but with PRTD document in my passport. The document checklist for renouncing PR mentions copy of passport. Do I need to tell them that I don't have my PR card but PRTD? Do I need to state the PRTD doc nr or detach it and send it to them?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello there. I would like to ask you how to go about renouncing PR status without a PR card but with PRTD document in my passport. The document checklist for renouncing PR mentions copy of passport. Do I need to tell them that I don't have my PR card but PRTD? Do I need to state the PRTD doc nr or detach it and send it to them?
As far as I am aware to renounce your PR status all you need are photocopies of the Bio info pages of your passport.

A PRTD is only for specific travel purpose, limited validity and not really relevant to renouncing PR. If you feel more comfortable with the renounce paperwork you can include a letter of explanation mentioning the lack of PR card and having a PRTD.

I guess you have your reasons for renouncing after just 4 months and then taking a gamble that a new EE application will succeed but as everyone here will suggest renouncing should be a last resort, especially as you probably know you can stay away for near 3 years before it becomes a problem.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
As far as I am aware to renounce your PR status all you need are photocopies of the Bio info pages of your passport.

A PRTD is only for specific travel purpose, limited validity and not really relevant to renouncing PR. If you feel more comfortable with the renounce paperwork you can include a letter of explanation mentioning the lack of PR card and having a PRTD.

I guess you have your reasons for renouncing after just 4 months and then taking a gamble that a new EE application will succeed but as everyone here will suggest renouncing should be a last resort, especially as you probably know you can stay away for near 3 years before it becomes a problem.
Thanks. I understand. I wanted to sponsor my partner this January. She won't be able to come so the only option is outland which is not an option. The only way out of this seems to cancel my PR and start the EE application with her.

Also I wanted to ask about the PR card. There is an option 'never received' on the official paperwork. My PR card has been shipped but is in Canada, and I have no access to it. Is it ok to declare that I never received it?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks. I understand. I wanted to sponsor my partner this January. She won't be able to come so the only option is outland which is not an option. The only way out of this seems to cancel my PR and start the EE application with her.

Also I wanted to ask about the PR card. There is an option 'never received' on the official paperwork. My PR card has been shipped but is in Canada, and I have no access to it. Is it ok to declare that I never received it?
Others can comment but I see no issue with saying never received but to be sure include a letter of explanation that you are outside of Canada and have not received the card in your home country. Did you not have an arrangement for someone to forward the card to you after you landed then left the country ?

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Thanks. Thought I would be coming in January. That's why I got PRTD. My PR card is with someone that I wanted to go and collect myself. Didn't want to take any risks it gets lost in the post.