+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renouncing Indian citizenship and getting OCI at same time, is it possible?

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
Asking all experts or new Canadian citizens who have been through the process of renouncing Indian citizenship and applying for OCI....how was your experience with BLS? How long did the process take in the BLS office to renounce your citizenship? I don't see any option to schedule appointment to renounce...can I just walk in to BLS to renounce?

I see at this link https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php for all documents required. They ask for 2 different application forms:
  1. APPLICATION FOR THE SURRENDER OF INDIAN PASSPORT & RENUNCIATION OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP
  2. Application form for obtaining Deemed Surrender Certificate
Will they return my Indian passport, even if i renounce? Is it done on the spot? I would like to keep my Indian passport for sentimental reasons.

I am not living in any big city, and my nearest BLS office is in Ottawa...so can I renounce my Indian citizenship and apply for OCI at the same time? As going to Ottawa will take 1 full day trip so I am trying to reduce costs.

guptakonark

Aug 22, 2016
I found some related info at www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-application-what-worked-for-me-to-submit-the-application.407176/page-2

Pasting it here:

take both your passport renunciation and the OCI togather. when you go there, tell at the reception that you have 2 applications, one for surrender and one for oci.

the person will give you 2 tickets.

when you go to the counter, tell you will be doing both surrender and oci today.

the agent will first take your surrender application, and will take the respective fees and that will generate a reciept. he will actually print 2 reciepts for your case. one he will give to you, the other he will use for attaching to your OCI application.

then he will take your oci application, do all the checks, take the fees, and will attach the reciept for the surrender with teh application and put into his bundle.

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
Yes, I saw the post above...but the checklist also says "OCI and Surrender cannot be applied simultaneously", so how come people could apply on the same day?

I am married to a Canadian who was naturalized several years before me. Do I need to provide HER landing papers???

And I was born outside India. Do I need to provide my parents' marriage certificate and copy of their passports too?? Sounds so ridiculous.

Can someone please help with your recent experience.

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
Bump...is there anyone here who can help provide your recent experience renouncing your Indian citizenship?

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
My experience with BLS is that the "rules" vary by the office, in typical Indian fashion. If you live in a city with a BLS office, I would recommend go and ask them. If there is a way to get it done, they will do it for you.