Renounce PR while family applying for citizenship

imadiq

Star Member
Mar 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello ,,,,
I would like to ask a question.
My brother immigrated to Canada with his family but due to his work commitments he didn't achieve the physical presence to qualify him either to renew his PR or apply for citizenship , however his family didn't leave Canada and very eligible to apply for citizenship.
my brother will voluntary renounce his PR card as he doesn't want to misrepresent any documented he has. so my question is DOES his action to renounce his PR card will affect his family application for citizenship knowing that his family didn't leave Canada for the last 4 years ( kids in school)
I appreciate your responses

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello ,,,,
I would like to ask a question.
My brother immigrated to Canada with his family but due to his work commitments he didn't achieve the physical presence to qualify him either to renew his PR or apply for citizenship , however his family didn't leave Canada and very eligible to apply for citizenship.
my brother will voluntary renounce his PR card as he doesn't want to misrepresent any documented he has. so my question is DOES his action to renounce his PR card will affect his family application for citizenship knowing that his family didn't leave Canada for the last 4 years ( kids in school)
I appreciate your responses
He shouldn’t renounce until his PR card is expired or he gets reported. It wouldn’t be misrepresenting and it has no effect on his wife and children.

escvnv

Apr 29, 2019
I also think he shouldn't renounce his PR.

On Canada website: "Even if you don't meet the residency obligation, you are still a PR until an official decision is made on your status."

If I were him I'd still try to renew PR card and go from there, especially if he's travelling for work commitments. Every situation is different.

imadiq

Star Member
Mar 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also think he shouldn't renounce his PR.

On Canada website: "Even if you don't meet the residency obligation, you are still a PR until an official decision is made on your status."

If I were him I'd still try to renew PR card and go from there, especially if he's travelling for work commitments. Every situation is different.
The idea was behind it is every time he arrive to airport the officer pull him aside and write report that he cant renew his PR in the future due his travel and not meeting the physical requirement . Now his PR is expired and he is out of country. My brother know for sure that there is few documentation against him whenever he arrive to Canada but always they let go because his PR was still valid . Now if he apply for renewal I am sure they will get his file with documentation is this Wright ?
Was his easy way is to renounce and apply for visit visa to see his kids every time

mekima

Star Member
Aug 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Doc's Request.
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
24-06-2014
Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
18-08-2014
Passport Req..
24-02-2015
LANDED..........
17-03-2015
The idea was behind it is every time he arrive to airport the officer pull him aside and write report that he cant renew his PR in the future due his travel and not meeting the physical requirement . Now his PR is expired and he is out of country. My brother know for sure that there is few documentation against him whenever he arrive to Canada but always they let go because his PR was still valid . Now if he apply for renewal I am sure they will get his file with documentation is this Wright ?
Was his easy way is to renounce and apply for visit visa to see his kids every time
As stated above, he shouldn't renounce his PR. Since it's already expired what he needs to do is to apply for a travel document from wherever he is outside of Canada at the consulate and once that is done a report will be issued against him for failing to meet the residency requirement which will lead to them revoking his PR and it's up to him to appeal that decision. Since he wants to give it up he doesnt have to appeal and just let then revoke his PR.

sr5095

Feb 18, 2018
His family can apply for citizenship after they meet the residence requirement. It is not directly linked to your brother

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It *may* make IRCC scrutinize the family's RO a bit more since he was out of the country for so long. But if the rest of the family has pretty strong residency proof, then it shouldn't make too much of a difference.