+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renounce PR delays eta

bellapeach

Aug 14, 2020
Applied for ETA in July,to travel to Canada in September. I did not expect delay due to needing to renounce PR. Application has been in 5 weeks now and can't seem to find any recent info on how long this process might take. I did it online as part of my ETA application. I am able to enter Canada, having immediate family there
Does anyone have recent experience how long this might take???

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Applied for ETA in July,to travel to Canada in September. I did not expect delay due to needing to renounce PR. Application has been in 5 weeks now and can't seem to find any recent info on how long this process might take. I did it online as part of my ETA application. I am able to enter Canada, having immediate family there
Does anyone have recent experience how long this might take???
Are you the parent, child or spouse of a PR or citizen?

bellapeach

Aug 14, 2020
I have 2 stepdaughters, 2 grandchildren in Canada, both Canadian citizens. I will be travelling with my 20yr old Canadian son to Canada. We are wanting to travel and quarantine together.

Are you the parent, child or spouse of a PR or citizen?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have 2 stepdaughters, 2 grandchildren in Canada, both Canadian citizens. I will be travelling with my 20yr old Canadian son to Canada. We are wanting to travel and quarantine together.
Stepchildren don't count as immediate family members in Canada.

bellapeach

Aug 14, 2020
Stepchildren don't count as immediate family members in Canada.
[/QUOT
The below is from Canada immigration website.
Which suggests step-parents are included as immediate family. I will also be travelling with my biological Canadian son who is re-locating to canada

An immediate family member is defined as a

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just in case others are reading this stepparents will likely struggle with airlines unless they are accompanied by the parent of the Canadian citizen or PR.

bellapeach

Aug 14, 2020
Just in case others are reading this stepparents will likely struggle with airlines unless they are accompanied by the parent of the Canadian citizen or PR.
I have copies of their passports, letters of support from them, marriage certificate, proving relationship and will be travelling with my Canadian son, hoping that will be ok? Maybe I should pH the airline?

bellapeach

Aug 14, 2020
Also am wondering if I should supply this to ircc as have heard they only processing applications for those who are exempt to travel.
I have informed them I am visiting stepdaughters and travelling with my son, but haven't supplied evidence