+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renounce Permanent Residence, How long?

Epicmx

Jun 6, 2017
Hey guys, I renounced mi PR since I did not meet my obligations 30 days ago, I have not gotten a response. Im going to apply for a student visa but It seems I need to figure this PR situation first, Im worried im going to run out of time and my course will start.

Does anybody know the processing time for renouncing your PR? Also what would happen if I was to apply for the Students Visa without getting a response from the Embassy about this matter? Would it get denied? I dont even know how theyre gonna let me know the process has been completed, Do they mail something to my house? Email? Theres so little info online.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hey guys, I renounced mi PR since I did not meet my obligations 30 days ago, I have not gotten a response. Im going to apply for a student visa but It seems I need to figure this PR situation first, Im worried im going to run out of time and my course will start.

Does anybody know the processing time for renouncing your PR? Also what would happen if I was to apply for the Students Visa without getting a response from the Embassy about this matter? Would it get denied? I dont even know how theyre gonna let me know the process has been completed, Do they mail something to my house? Email? Theres so little info online.

1. CIC won't issue a study permit until your renouncement is accepted.

"
Upon receiving your completed application, an officer will review your file and determine whether you meet the requirements to renounce your Canadian permanent resident status.

If your application is approved, you will be provided with a document confirming that you no longer have permanent resident status in Canada."

himausa

Sep 2, 2021

How long did it take with you? The renunciation process and the student visa afterward?

klein

Oct 6, 2009
Processing time depends on the visa office. I renounced PR in 2016 at the Vienna office and it took about a month to receive the confirmation letter from IRCC. I know another person who renounced in India and it’s been over half a year without confirmation. Timelines can vary a lot between different visa offices.

Reactions: himausa and YVR123

himausa

Sep 2, 2021
Processing time depends on the visa office. I renounced PR in 2016 at the Vienna office and it took about a month to receive the confirmation letter from IRCC. I know another person who renounced in India and it’s been over half a year without confirmation. Timelines can vary a lot between different visa offices.
Thanks a lot. I just received the confirmation letter. It took two months in my case (Ankara office). Any idea how long would it take for them now to issue my student visa?

Aman Saigal

Sep 16, 2022

Hey can you guide me on a few questions I had about pr renunciation process or can you get me connected anyhow with the person you know from India who renounced their PR since I am gonna apply to renounce my pr very soon and through India itself , it would be great help if you could please help

thesky

Nov 21, 2022
Thanks a lot. I just received the confirmation letter. It took two months in my case (Ankara office). Any idea how long would it take for them now to issue my student visa?
Is the confirmation letter sent to you by ordinary mail, registered mail or by email?

redindian22

Mar 22, 2010
Hi,

Has any one recently applied to Renounce PR in India and could you please advice the time taken to get the confirmation letter from the time the application was submitted.
Thanks in advance