+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renounce and reapply

tunaibasu

Sep 10, 2013
Hi Experts,

Good morning and evening to all. Below is my situation and I need help on few of the below questions:

I got my PR in August 2016(my clock started then) but since then I have not entered Canada because of certain personal/family constraints. I got my PR under Canadian Experience Class category. Since 2016 August, I have been living in the United States. I know as I have lost more than 3 years, my PR status might have got invalidated as I have not met the RO. I dont want to enter Canada and take a chance to see if I dont get reported due to not meeting the RO and rather would reapply and get a new PR.

Now I want to start the PR process again as this time, I really want to immigrate to Canada. With that in mind, I have the below questions. If you can please help me with the answers:

1. What is the best time to apply for PR again? Shall I first renounce my existing PR (expiry: September, 2021) and then apply or shall I file the PR and see if I get the invitation to apply and then renounce the existing one? I read on the CIC website that renunciation can take around 60 days? So in that case if I renounce only after I get an invite, will that not cause delay to my new application? Please suggest what I shall be doing and in what sequence?

2. Can I fill in an express entry profile for a new PR if I am already an existing PR holder? Or do I have to renounce my PR first?

3. I have been working full time in the USA for the last 5 years. Will that add any extra points to my CRS score? Note, I already had 22 months of full time work exp in Canada between 2012 and 2014.

4. Does renouncing have any negative impact on the new PR application?

Thanks,
Subhajit

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Experts,

Good morning and evening to all. Below is my situation and I need help on few of the below questions:

I got my PR in August 2016(my clock started then) but since then I have not entered Canada because of certain personal/family constraints. I got my PR under Canadian Experience Class category. Since 2016 August, I have been living in the United States. I know as I have lost more than 3 years, my PR status might have got invalidated as I have not met the RO. I dont want to enter Canada and take a chance to see if I dont get reported due to not meeting the RO and rather would reapply and get a new PR.

Now I want to start the PR process again as this time, I really want to immigrate to Canada. With that in mind, I have the below questions. If you can please help me with the answers:

1. What is the best time to apply for PR again? Shall I first renounce my existing PR (expiry: September, 2021) and then apply or shall I file the PR and see if I get the invitation to apply and then renounce the existing one? I read on the CIC website that renunciation can take around 60 days? So in that case if I renounce only after I get an invite, will that not cause delay to my new application? Please suggest what I shall be doing and in what sequence?

2. Can I fill in an express entry profile for a new PR if I am already an existing PR holder? Or do I have to renounce my PR first?

3. I have been working full time in the USA for the last 5 years. Will that add any extra points to my CRS score? Note, I already had 22 months of full time work exp in Canada between 2012 and 2014.

4. Does renouncing have any negative impact on the new PR application?

Thanks,
Subhajit
1. IMO you want to make sure your PR status is revoked before you get ITA. You need to make sure you qualify for PR at the time you receive ITA. If you renounce after you receive ITA, this may cause issues since you technically will not have qualified for ITA at the time you received it since you were already a PR.

2. You can create an EE profile first. But your PR status needs to be renounced at the time you receive ITA. So I would personally renounce PR as a first step ahead of creating the EE profile.

3. This will give you foreign work experience points. If you're asking if the points are higher because it's US work experience, the answer is no.

4. No negative impact.

tunaibasu

Sep 10, 2013
1. IMO you want to make sure your PR status is revoked before you get ITA. You need to make sure you qualify for PR at the time you receive ITA. If you renounce after you receive ITA, this may cause issues since you technically will not have qualified for ITA at the time you received it since you were already a PR.

2. You can create an EE profile first. But your PR status needs to be renounced at the time you receive ITA. So I would personally renounce PR as a first step ahead of creating the EE profile.

3. This will give you foreign work experience points. If you're asking if the points are higher because it's US work experience, the answer is no.

4. No negative impact.
Thanks much Scylla. Really appreciate that!