amamh

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I would massively appreciate if anyone can give me with advice here.

I earned my PR in 2016 and it is expiring in September 2021. Unfortunately, I could not move to Canada and now I don't have enough time to satisfy the 2 years requirement to be able to renew and keep my PR. In fact, it will be hard for me to even enter Canada now because the last time I was there was in March 2019 and border control may check (they did that a few times) my PR card and see that I don't have enough time to satisfy my residency requirement (2 years out of 5 years).

I'm thinking the best course of action now is to renounce my PR and apply again so that I get another 5 years of PR and that should give me enough time to wrap up everything and move to Canada. I am positive that I can qualify again.

My question is, how long do you think it will take if I renounce my PR now so that I can start a new PR application again (Express Entry)? I'm hoping it will not take several months because I want to reapply as soon as possible (seriously, I'm planning to move very soon to Canada, so I don't want any delays).

My other option is to not renounce and try to enter Canada any way (last entry was in March 2019 as mentioned) and if I'm able to pass through border control (because they don't always check how long I was away and don't always check residency requirement) then stay in Canada for 2 years at least then renew my PR (I checked, and this is perfectly possible as long as I don't leave Canada for 2 years even if my PR card expires because card expiry
does not mean I lose my PR status). However, I don't like this idea at all because I don't want to be unable to leave Canada for such a long time.

Any advice from experienced users is appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm not sure how long it takes to renounce your status since it isn't a standard thing that IRCC publishes timelines for. Your only option may be to actually try to renounce and find out.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi guys,

I would massively appreciate if anyone can give me with advice here.

I earned my PR in 2016 and it is expiring in September 2021. Unfortunately, I could not move to Canada and now I don't have enough time to satisfy the 2 years requirement to be able to renew and keep my PR. In fact, it will be hard for me to even enter Canada now because the last time I was there was in March 2019 and border control may check (they did that a few times) my PR card and see that I don't have enough time to satisfy my residency requirement (2 years out of 5 years).

I'm thinking the best course of action now is to renounce my PR and apply again so that I get another 5 years of PR and that should give me enough time to wrap up everything and move to Canada. I am positive that I can qualify again.

My question is, how long do you think it will take if I renounce my PR now so that I can start a new PR application again (Express Entry)? I'm hoping it will not take several months because I want to reapply as soon as possible (seriously, I'm planning to move very soon to Canada, so I don't want any delays).

My other option is to not renounce and try to enter Canada any way (last entry was in March 2019 as mentioned) and if I'm able to pass through border control (because they don't always check how long I was away and don't always check residency requirement) then stay in Canada for 2 years at least then renew my PR (I checked, and this is perfectly possible as long as I don't leave Canada for 2 years even if my PR card expires because card expiry
does not mean I lose my PR status). However, I don't like this idea at all because I don't want to be unable to leave Canada for such a long time.

Any advice from experienced users is appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance
I will go with the second option. Even if you don't meet the residency obligation, you are still a PR until an official decision is made on your status.
I understand renunciation of your PR may allow you to come and stay in Canada on visit and start afresh. You just have to weight both options.

amamh

Star Member
Sep 10, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will go with the second option. Even if you don't meet the residency obligation, you are still a PR until an official decision is made on your status.
I understand renunciation of your PR may allow you to come and stay in Canada on visit and start afresh. You just have to weight both options.
The only way to make that work is to stay in Canada for two years, being unable to leave the country since my card will have expired, so that I can renew. That's assuming that I can even enter now (they don't always check when I travel). Regardless, I'm not willing to be tied in the country for 1-2 years with an expired card, it is not worth it for me. I would rather go through the pain of applying again.

salahuddin2

May 1, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-09-2017
Hi
The only way to make that work is to stay in Canada for two years, being unable to leave the country since my card will have expired, so that I can renew. That's assuming that I can even enter now (they don't always check when I travel). Regardless, I'm not willing to be tied in the country for 1-2 years with an expired card, it is not worth it for me. I would rather go through the pain of applying again.

I have a similar case and my PR also expiring in Sep-2021 . So what decision you took . Did you renounce your PR ?
I heard they can even extend the PR on H&C basis sometimes.