+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing your visitor status by short exit/re-entry?

bokikiki

Apr 4, 2015
Hello there,

Probably already discussed a lot in here, but can't search for the answer, the Search function isn't working. So I'm gonna post my question here.

If the Canada visitor has a multiple-entry visitor visa, and enters Canada. Normally they are allowed to stay for up tp 6 months, after that they either leave, or ask for an extension

My question is: if they want to renew for another 6 months, can they just leave Canada for a little bit (as close as crossing into USA for a few days, or fly to Cuba on a vacation) before the first 6 months expires, and then re-enter Canada? Would that automatically renew their visitor status for another up to 6 months?

Anyone with concrete cases about this, than can conform my question? If that is considered OK by the customs/immigration officers, how many days should they spend outside Canada before the re-entry?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certainly try. However there is no guarantee you will get an additional six months and no guarantee you will be allowed back into Canada. Whether you are allowed back into Canada and for how long is up to the immigration officer you encounter at the border. If that officer feels that you are using a visitor visa to try to live in Canada, it's possible that the officer may only grant you a very short re-entry into the country or even deny entry completely (rare - but it does happen).

If you want to stay in Canada longer, it's better (safer) to apply for an extension from within Canada rather than doing a border run.