+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing Work Permit after COPR and a Visa

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
Hello guys, do you think I should extend my work permit right now, it expires in three months. I have my COPR and visa, but does that give me an implied status. I was told that the local CIC office takes 2-4 months. Any suggestions. i dont mind going back to my home country and returning with my wife who is waiting for her COPR. Let me know.

Thanks

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
immigrationaspirant said:
Hello guys, do you think I should extend my work permit right now, it expires in three months. I have my COPR and visa, but does that give me an implied status. I was told that the local CIC office takes 2-4 months. Any suggestions. i dont mind going back to my home country and returning with my wife who is waiting for her COPR. Let me know.

Thanks
Have you already landed as an immigrant? If you have, then the work permit is not even valid any longer. As a landed immigrant you don't require a work permit. Get your SIN number updated, if you haven't done that to get a number that does NOT begin with a 9 and put that work permit up for safe keeping for use later with your citizenship application / PR renewal application and such.

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
Alurra71 said:
Have you already landed as an immigrant? If you have, then the work permit is not even valid any longer. As a landed immigrant you don't require a work permit. Get your SIN number updated, if you haven't done that to get a number that does NOT begin with a 9 and put that work permit up for safe keeping for use later with your citizenship application / PR renewal application and such.
Thanks Allura, but I haven't done my landing yet. Thats the whole problem. The local CIC office takes a lot of time to give me appointment. They say it can take upto 2-4 months. My current valid work permit expires in 3 months. Going to the border and landing would be my last desperate step. I tried to find if there is any border office here that provides Immigration services and to my disappointment I found none. I was told that the border office is seasonal.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Well, you have 2 options then as I see it. You can exit the country, go see your wife, go on vacation, however you wish to do it and then officially 'land' when you return, or you can wait until they give you an appointment and spend some more money extending a work permit that you shouldn't need to extend because you have already been issued your COPR. I certainly hope that if you opt to extend that work permit you are watching the expiry date on that COPR closely. If that expires before you actually 'land' you are going to have a lot more problems than just extending a work permit.

Good luck.

BTW, where the heck are you located that immigration is only seasonal??

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immigrationaspirant said:

Thanks
It is very simple: "Flag Pole"

Drive to the nearest border between Canada and the United States "you don't need a US visa" as you are not gonna enter the states.

Then turn back to the Canadian side of the borders and land.

If you see a U turn back to Canada before you reach the US borders, turn back without reaching the American side.

Fort Erie bridge between Canada and the states has it.

If you don't find the U turn, just hit the American side with no visa "if you don't have one", tell them that you just wanna turn back to Canada to land and show them your documents.

They will verify your documents with the Canadian authorities and send you back to Canada to land at the port of entry.

No appointment or anytime limit required for it.

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
professional 1 said:

Drive to the nearest border between Canada and the United States "you don't need a US visa" as you are not gonna enter the states.

Maybe not so simple for those of us living in the territories. It's a hell of a long way for me to get to a US border :)

Just saying, maybe the OP is a northerner too!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

professional 1 said:

Then turn back to the Canadian side of the borders and land.

If you see a U turn back to Canada before you reach the US borders, turn back without reaching the American side.

Fort Erie bridge between Canada and the states has it.

If you don't find the U turn, just hit the American side with no visa "if you don't have one", tell them that you just wanna turn back to Canada to land and show them your documents.

They will verify your documents with the Canadian authorities and send you back to Canada to land at the port of entry.

No appointment or anytime limit required for it.
I think that you will find that you can no longer use the "U" turn facility, you must get an administrative rejection from the US side.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

I think that you will find that you can no longer use the "U" turn facility, you must get an administrative rejection from the US side.
Well,

My friend landed 4 months ago through the U turn without reaching the US side and everything went fine with him.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
professional 1 said:
Well,

My friend landed 4 months ago through the U turn without reaching the US side and everything went fine with him.
The rules appear to have been changed since then. A number of people have since reported being refused "landing" after just a U-Turn.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
The rules appear to have been changed since then. A number of people have since reported being refused "landing" after just a U-Turn.
That might be true. However, even when I landed long time ago, I remember some people reporting being denied landing until they get back to the states and bring a rejection letter.

At that time it seemed to be case by case depending on the border officer.

Not sure whether they are really enforcing it now, or it is just a case by case depending on the officer again.

Worst scenario is: they will ask him to go back to states borders and get the administrative rejection, then come back to land.

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
Thanks everyone for the info

I would rather prefer to do my landing inland. Crossing the border, especially if you are not from a visa exempt country could be a harrowing experience. Also, at the border I have heard of people experiencing problems. Inland offices are quite convenient. My wife got her visa and COPR, now I can land. Allura btw I live on an island..lol. I had plans to exit the country and land again with my wife. But I have already got my appointment and there is still time for my WP to expire. Some of my friends landed inland and said it took them only 5-10 minutes. I have been asked to bring my Passport and Immigration documents. Hoping its an easy one.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
I'm confused. If you have your appointment with the cic office and it's before your work permit expires then what's the issue?
I'm pretty sure the majority of PR applicants are not visa exempt and they land all the time without issue.
Please don't try to complicate things when they needn't be.
Good luck

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
lpc19800 said:
I'm confused. If you have your appointment with the cic office and it's before your work permit expires then what's the issue?
I'm pretty sure the majority of PR applicants are not visa exempt and they land all the time without issue.
Please don't try to complicate things when they needn't be.
Good luck
No Sir, I am not trying to complicate this issue. If you have read my post correctly it was at that point when I assumed that my appointment could be sometime in June, that is when my Work Permit expires. But luckily I just received a mail notifying me that I have been scheduled for the interview this month itself. So yes my problem has been solved.

Thanks