+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing work and study permit

worried2335

Jan 19, 2015
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with something. I got charged with a crime about 1.5 years ago and got it withdrawn through diversion a bit over 1 year ago. My fingerprints and picture is still on record until the end of 2016. My study and work permit expires this June and I need to extend it to finish my studies. Have anyone gone through the visa extension with my circumstances? I know I will have to tick Yes for "have you been arrested or convicted of a crime" but I'm hoping since I got a withdrawn through diversion it wouldn't cause me any trouble. What should I say in the box to decrease the likelihood of my extension getting denied? I have no criminal record other than the arrest record and fingerprints + picture on record right now.

Thanks for all your help.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

worried2335 said:
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with something. I got charged with a crime about 1.5 years ago and got it withdrawn through diversion a bit over 1 year ago. My fingerprints and picture is still on record until the end of 2016. My study and work permit expires this June and I need to extend it to finish my studies. Have anyone gone through the visa extension with my circumstances? I know I will have to tick Yes for "have you been arrested or convicted of a crime" but I'm hoping since I got a withdrawn through diversion it wouldn't cause me any trouble. What should I say in the box to decrease the likelihood of my extension getting denied? I have no criminal record other than the arrest record and fingerprints + picture on record right now.

1. You should be good as long as its not resulted in a conviction. If its not a conviction, your finger prints/picture, charged summary won't appear in national record.
2. You must state everything truthfully.
3. Expect up to 3 months of extra delay in processing, since application will be under further scrutiny.

prdgo

Oct 8, 2015
hi

My criminal charge has been stayed by crown in Jan 2016. I have disclosed my charges and court documents when applied for extension of my study permit on Jan 25 2016. Still i did not hear anything from CIC. Do anyone know what are my chance getting study permit extension.

Worried : did you consult any immigration lawyer about your situation ? if yes what the lawyer has suggested to you.

prdgo

Oct 8, 2015
Do anyone has idea about difference between "stayed", dropped, dismissed and withdrawn criminal charges ?

prdgo

Oct 8, 2015
Hi worried,

My study permit got renewed on feb 22, 2016. do not worry you will be ok. did you apply for extension.

Abbas1

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
well I am kinda in similar situation, been arrested but not charged for driving while suspended license due to not paying speeding ticket in WA state :eek:, hired a lawyer and the charges went to infraction.

This happened in Jan 2014 and applied for TRV and got it within 2 weeks, last year though when my TRV expired applied again and they asked me for further documents ( PCC from the US-Canada-My home country ) and denied my application as the time they gave me has passed and didn't provide them stating I may be inadmissible to Canada :mad:

I contact a lawyer and gave him all documents I have and he says that I am admissible to Canada and I shouldn't be worried.

The lawyer has issue me a legal opinion letter with all criminal cods stuff from Canada and the US explaining to the VO that I shouldn't be inadmissible (( the letter cost me around USD 500))

applied again Nov2nd with all necessary documents and the letter from the lawyer and nothing new till now !

hoping to catch my final semester next full at the latest !

so what you can get from this, you may get away when you apply ( keeping in mind you have to check yes to being arrested in the application form )
or you may be asked to provide PCC and statement letter explaining what happened

and as mentioned above, expect a delay

Good luck

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
worried2335 said:
Hi guys,

Hey what happened to your case?Please guide me as i am in the same boat.

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
prdgo said:
Hi worried,

My study permit got renewed on feb 22, 2016. do not worry you will be ok. did you apply for extension.
Hey prdgo
Plz let me know did you hire a lawyer while applying for extension?do you have any idea that non-conviction charges affect work permit or not?

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Abbas1 said:
well I am kinda in similar situation, been arrested but not charged for driving while suspended license due to not paying speeding ticket in WA state :eek:, hired a lawyer and the charges went to infraction.

This happened in Jan 2014 and applied for TRV and got it within 2 weeks, last year though when my TRV expired applied again and they asked me for further documents ( PCC from the US-Canada-My home country ) and denied my application as the time they gave me has passed and didn't provide them stating I may be inadmissible to Canada :mad:

I contact a lawyer and gave him all documents I have and he says that I am admissible to Canada and I shouldn't be worried.

The lawyer has issue me a legal opinion letter with all criminal cods stuff from Canada and the US explaining to the VO that I shouldn't be inadmissible (( the letter cost me around USD 500))

applied again Nov2nd with all necessary documents and the letter from the lawyer and nothing new till now !

hoping to catch my final semester next full at the latest !

so what you can get from this, you may get away when you apply ( keeping in mind you have to check yes to being arrested in the application form )
or you may be asked to provide PCC and statement letter explaining what happened

and as mentioned above, expect a delay

Good luck
Hey
do we have to submit documents related to our case?

Ivan123

Feb 16, 2018
I am in the same situation, my study permit extension has been processing for more than a year now, I called CIC and they keep telling me its processing, I am super worried now.
What step should I take?
My case was withdrawn because it was a misunderstanding, I have no conviction, no criminal record and my finger print was already destroyed from their system, I also stated all this when I applied.

P@1n

Mar 9, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Passport Req..
07-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2017
LANDED..........
15-08-2017
I am in the same situation, my study permit extension has been processing for more than a year now, I called CIC and they keep telling me its processing, I am super worried now.
What step should I take?
My case was withdrawn because it was a misunderstanding, I have no conviction, no criminal record and my finger print was already destroyed from their system, I also stated all this when I applied.
Try ordering gcms notes to know why its taking so long to process.