+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

renewing visa by crossing US border

Australian111

Oct 14, 2008
Hi,

who could help me with the following situation:
I entered Canada 5 months ago on a tourist visa which is valid for 5 more weeks. I want to extend my stay for about 2 more months. Could I do that by crossing the US border into Washington State and re-enter Canada within the same day? Would that give me another 6 months?

I have seen the possibilities on the Immigration site on extending the visa for 75 dollars but since I am in Vancouver, I am wondering if border crossing is an option.

Thank you for helping out!

Lucy

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think they will renew your 6 months just for going to the border. I cant find anything concrete on the CIC website though. You can call CIC to make sure. Then let us know what they say :)

The form for extension is at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

Australian111

Oct 14, 2008
Just called them and it is all automated but pretty helpful. Of course it didn't say anything about crossing the US border and coming back :) (wishful thinking) but to extend your stay in Canada, simply apply online on the website that you mentioned Leon.
At this point it will take 62 days until you hear back from them. The good thing: you are allowed to stay in Canada until a decision has been made. They basically give you a bridging visa for the period of time your visa has been officially expired.
The only important thing is to apply for extension 30 days before it expires.
Which I am going to do now. Cost is $75 by the way.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to press 0 or something to get a live person. Go through the first couple of menus and then try pressing zero.

ghiaskhan

What happens at the time of crossing into the states or from states to Cannada is important.Americans borderforce is not very friendly now a days.I have seen Canadian residents being detained for questioning by the American Border force and the poor people were grilled through for hours...So be careful. Good luck.

Joselyn

Sep 5, 2018
Hi. I have a business travel but my visitors visa expired. Can I go to the border with my job invitation letter for the event to ask for my new temporary visa?. I do have my WP valid already. Thanks for letting me know