Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
It's been a while since I last visited this forum. I am doing so to offer advice on when to renew the PR card when it is about to expire.

My wife got her PR card after two years of waiting in 2011. We visited Canada to receive her card in 2011 , then returned to China to tie up loose ends. In July 2014 we moved permanently to Canada. In September 2016 her PR card was going to expire, so in April 2016 we applied for renewal.

Here comes the problem. At the time of application in April, my wife had not amassed the required 730 days in Canada, so we used time spent together in China to meet the 730 quota. This use of time spent together is allowed by Immigration, but the proof required a host of complex documentation, which apparently caused some consternation at Immigration, because the application was sent to secondary review in July. I immediately responded that by July my wife had the required 730 days on Canadian soil, and so Immigration could ignore the complicated China documentation.

Months later, after silence from Immigration, we asked Immigration for some acknowledgement that the application was still in process. No reply. A few months after that we repeated, and Immigration again failed to reply. Finally a third request for status was ignored, and we appealed through our local member of parliament (MP). A day later the MP was notified by Immigration that the PR card had been mailed a moth previously; evidently it had been “lost in the mail”. We waited the required 6 weeks and applied for a replacement.

Two lessons from this.

First, Immigration disrespects citizens (me) and residents (my wife) because they ignored several requests for a status report. Yet somehow we were expected to know that the card had been mailed, and to know when the 6 weeks waiting period had ended so we could then apply for a replacement. Instead, us your local MP who wields some weight with immigration.

Second, try to have the required 730 days on Canadian soil, rather than use time spent together offshore, so that Immigration doesn’t have cause to drag its feet an entire year, as they did in our case.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Words of hard won wisdom! ;D

I think the same is true of almost any government department in any country in the world. In most cases they think they are doing you a favour and the standard of service and communication is shockingly bad!