+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing Student Permit/Visa

degvire

Dec 30, 2013
Okay so I just started College (Centennial College) but I like to be prepared for the future so I want advice. My passport is expiring January 2016 hence my visa and student permit are expiring in December 2015. I want to transfer from Centennial College to the University of Toronto/Ryerson after four terms (I'm not taking vacations so I expect to complete four terms by next April and start at U of T in the Fall). I called the University of Toronto and they told me it was completely fine to transfer and I have solid chances if I have a 3.2+ GPA, which is fairly easy to achieve. So my questions are:
- Should I notify CIC if I transfer? (I know it's not required but...)
- When should I renew my passport and apply for a new student permit and visa?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

degvire said:
Okay so I just started College (Centennial College) but I like to be prepared for the future so I want advice. My passport is expiring January 2016 hence my visa and student permit are expiring in December 2015. I want to transfer from Centennial College to the University of Toronto/Ryerson after four terms (I'm not taking vacations so I expect to complete four terms by next April and start at U of T in the Fall). I called the University of Toronto and they told me it was completely fine to transfer and I have solid chances if I have a 3.2+ GPA, which is fairly easy to achieve. So my questions are:
- Should I notify CIC if I transfer? (I know it's not required but...)
- When should I renew my passport and apply for a new student permit and visa?
No, CIC doesn't care as it is transfer between post secondary schools.
Yes, as you have to have an acceptance letter to extend your study permit.