+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing/Reissue of PGWP After Passport Renewal

Pier39lab

Oct 23, 2015
Hello experts/experienced,

My PGWP was issued with the Remark "Passport Must be renewed for further extensions" until Dec 20 2016, therefore I renewed my passport and I got it too (took roughly a month).

I've looked/lurked around the forums for instructions on how to renew the PGWP only to notice mixed responses, it seems very ambigious to me. I don't see the "right way to do it".

Questions:

1. Is Paper Based application the only way to do it? I also see people that have successfully done it online but had to do it like a new grad (like you did it for the first time as a student -> PGWP)

2. Are you still allowed to renew it ahead of 3 months of the PGWP expiry?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help :)

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Hi there,

I just posted a post in "Got PGWP Extension over Flagpole" if you want to see in details. However, yes you can, mine was also till December 2016, I just got it renewed yesterday at the border. You have to apply by paper or you can try your luck at the border before you do, that's what I did and got through. Good luck.

AbdulMajid

Jan 28, 2016
Pier39lab said:
Hello experts/experienced,

My PGWP was issued with the Remark "Passport Must be renewed for further extensions" until Dec 20 2016, therefore I renewed my passport and I got it too (took roughly a month).

I've looked/lurked around the forums for instructions on how to renew the PGWP only to notice mixed responses, it seems very ambigious to me. I don't see the "right way to do it".

Questions:

1. Is Paper Based application the only way to do it? I also see people that have successfully done it online but had to do it like a new grad (like you did it for the first time as a student -> PGWP)

2. Are you still allowed to renew it ahead of 3 months of the PGWP expiry?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help :)
online, paper and flagpole: all of these three are possible ways to get it renewed. however, if you flagpole. take your applicaiton with all the necessary documentation and go to border. my friend got rejected once, and got his permit second time when he went. I personally applied through paper and havent got any news yet. since 2 over two months. i read a comment on this forum from a person who applied online. he wrote that he has got his PGWP renewed online. he had the same problem of passport expiry at the first place. he did everything like a new graduate (filled forms like a new graduate- even though you have to write your status as worker in form IMM5710E) and wrote in the letter of explanation that he got his permit until passport expiry and now he has already got his permit. its all upto you to try your luck. it shouldnt be a problem if you apply ahead of time. however if i were you, i would gather all my docs and go to flagpole tomorrow and see my luck atleast twice. if that doesnt work. then paper application of online application.

cheers

Jenna123

Dec 12, 2017
online, paper and flagpole: all of these three are possible ways to get it renewed. however, if you flagpole. take your applicaiton with all the necessary documentation and go to border. my friend got rejected once, and got his permit second time when he went. I personally applied through paper and havent got any news yet. since 2 over two months. i read a comment on this forum from a person who applied online. he wrote that he has got his PGWP renewed online. he had the same problem of passport expiry at the first place. he did everything like a new graduate (filled forms like a new graduate- even though you have to write your status as worker in form IMM5710E) and wrote in the letter of explanation that he got his permit until passport expiry and now he has already got his permit. its all upto you to try your luck. it shouldnt be a problem if you apply ahead of time. however if i were you, i would gather all my docs and go to flagpole tomorrow and see my luck atleast twice. if that doesnt work. then paper application of online application.

cheers
AbdulMajih,

Did your friend have a valid visa to reenter Canada when extending pgwp at the border?

Thank you,
J