+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR - met obligations but...

jennythom91

May 14, 2016
Hi guys,

So I came into the country from us border about 2 and a half years ago after my card expired in 2013, I was one of the lucky ones who got let through and I haven’t left the country since so I could
Meet the 730 days.

I’m now filling out my form to renew and I’m worried about my address history. It says that you have to give all of our history since you’ve been a resident and it’s obvious then that the previous five years I breached the conditions even though I’ve met them now . Will this affect my application renewal? Will it get sent to secondary because it looks shady? I’m just freaking out as I have let the conditions now for over 2 years but I’m worried they’ll take my time back in 2008 - 2014 into consideration.

Thanks guys

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you have maintained well over 730 days in the past five years, you are in compliance with your RO and previous violations won't matter much.

Reactions: jddd

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You only need to give work and address history for the FIVE years preceding the date you make the application for the PR card. You only provide a history of absences during the FIVE years preceding the date you make the application.

What matters is whether you are currently in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Current compliance CURES any previous breach (so long as there was NO report of inadmissibility).

That said, sure, IRCC processing officials can ordinarily recognize a client's history for what it is and in evaluating the case take the individual's history into account. This is about assessing the credibility of information. So do NOT be surprised if there is a referral to Secondary Review, or a referral to the local office for a formal Residency Obligation examination. NO need to panic if that happens. They are doing due diligence. Again, as long you have been actually present in Canada for more than two of the last five years, and can reasonably document this, the fact you were not in compliance sometime in the past does NOT matter.

So your PR card application may not be routine. It may take longer than most. But the outcome only depends on your meeting the RO during the most recent FIVE years.

There are plenty of reports suggesting many, many PRs go through this experience.

Hi guys,

So I came into the country from us border about 2 and a half years ago after my card expired in 2013, I was one of the lucky ones who got let through and I haven’t left the country since so I could
Meet the 730 days.

I’m now filling out my form to renew and I’m worried about my address history. It says that you have to give all of our history since you’ve been a resident and it’s obvious then that the previous five years I breached the conditions even though I’ve met them now . Will this affect my application renewal? Will it get sent to secondary because it looks shady? I’m just freaking out as I have let the conditions now for over 2 years but I’m worried they’ll take my time back in 2008 - 2014 into consideration.

Thanks guys

Reactions: k.h.p.