+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR Card supporting documents - residency obligation

beccnewt

Dec 19, 2022
Hey folks,

Was wondering if I could get some help with understanding what documents I need to attach to my application for PR card renewal. I'm confused because the document checklist seems to state that you only need to provide proof of residence if you have been outside of Canada for more than 1095 days in the last 5 years. (I have only left for 45 days (thanks covid)). Yet appendix A in Guide IMM5445 seems to state that no matter what you must provide proof of residency. I can provide proof of pay studs, notice of assessments but have no idea how many pieces is too much or two little, surely they don't want to see every pay stub ad bank statement in the last 5 years. Any help would be much appreicated, I'm a tad confused and dont want to do it wrong

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The most recent version of IMM5445 (e), states the following:
Proof of residency requirements if you were outside of Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years. Please refer to Appendix A of the instruction guide for a list of the documents required.

(You do not need to include anything from Appendix A because you are not one of those that have been outside Canada for >1095 days)

harryp

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
The most recent version of IMM5445 (e), states the following:
Proof of residency requirements if you were outside of Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years. Please refer to Appendix A of the instruction guide for a list of the documents required.

(You do not need to include anything from Appendix A because you are not one of those that have been outside Canada for >1095 days)
Do I leave the checklist Box unchecked in that case ? I've seen another thread on this forum where someone mentioned to check this box but not submit any docs as its not applicable. Im confused whether I should check or keep it unchecked since i was not outside Canada for 1095 days.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey folks,

Was wondering if I could get some help with understanding what documents I need to attach to my application for PR card renewal. I'm confused because the document checklist seems to state that you only need to provide proof of residence if you have been outside of Canada for more than 1095 days in the last 5 years. (I have only left for 45 days (thanks covid)). Yet appendix A in Guide IMM5445 seems to state that no matter what you must provide proof of residency. I can provide proof of pay studs, notice of assessments but have no idea how many pieces is too much or two little, surely they don't want to see every pay stub ad bank statement in the last 5 years. Any help would be much appreicated, I'm a tad confused and dont want to do it wrong
Not true. You only need to provide evidence from Appendix A if you have been outside Canada for 1095 days or more.
That is why the language does not state that it is a mandatory requirement for those that have been in Canada for 730 days or more within the last 5 years, right? See this from the Document Checklist (IMM5644e):

I agree that it's a bit confusing.

Reactions: YVR123