+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR card - Question about online form

purejacky

Jul 26, 2023
Hi,

I’m filling out my pr card renewal application and I need to add two pieces of proof that I meet my residency obligation for the past five years. Im going to use (1) notices of assessment from the past five years, (2) one bank statement from each of the past five years, and for good measure (3) a letter from my employer stating that I’ve worked physically on site in Canada for the past five years.

the problem is, it seems you can only upload one document for the ‘proof of residency in Canada’ category on the online web form. Should I just merge all of the documents into one pdf, or upload the latter two separately under ‘other’ and clearly label them?

I don’t understand why they recommend you numerically label the files for each piece of evidence if they’re just going to make you upload one pdf…

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I’m filling out my pr card renewal application and I need to add two pieces of proof that I meet my residency obligation for the past five years. Im going to use (1) notices of assessment from the past five years, (2) one bank statement from each of the past five years, and for good measure (3) a letter from my employer stating that I’ve worked physically on site in Canada for the past five years.

the problem is, it seems you can only upload one document for the ‘proof of residency in Canada’ category on the online web form. Should I just merge all of the documents into one pdf, or upload the latter two separately under ‘other’ and clearly label them?

I don’t understand why they recommend you numerically label the files for each piece of evidence if they’re just going to make you upload one pdf…
More madness! LOL!

I would just create a single pdf and hope that the human that sees it, figures it out.

You do NOT need 5 separate bank staements covering the 5 year span, even though the way that the horrible instructions are written you would think that you need 5 years of `proof. You do not. One NOA and one bank statement (from a different time period, obviously) is usually sufficient.

All the `proof' does, basically, is confirm or dispute the CBSA info, regarding the dates that you declare that you were in Canada.

See this thread for much discussion about this:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/“proof-showing-that-you-meet-the-residency-obligation…”-now-mandatory.805920/

purejacky

Jul 26, 2023
Thank you so much for your response! That is so incredibly weird and predictably nonsensical on their part. The thought of proving a 5 year span of residence with two documents from single years makes my eyes go crossed. So, do you think I can include more docs than they’re asking for just for my own piece of mind or should I definitely stick to just two?

do you think the letter from my employer on letterhead is enough to replace, say, the bank statements?

I’m still trying to wrap my head around how ‘notices of assessment from the 5 years previous to submitting the application’ could translate to one notice of assessment from a single year. I’ll take your word for it (since I assume this is what you did on your own application?) Jesus. Thanks.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your response! That is so incredibly weird and predictably nonsensical on their part. The thought of proving a 5 year span of residence with two documents from single years makes my eyes go crossed. So, do you think I can include more docs than they’re asking for just for my own piece of mind or should I definitely stick to just two?

do you think the letter from my employer on letterhead is enough to replace, say, the bank statements?

I’m still trying to wrap my head around how ‘notices of assessment from the 5 years previous to submitting the application’ could translate to one notice of assessment from a single year. I’ll take your word for it (since I assume this is what you did on your own application?) Jesus. Thanks.
Happy to help.

Have a read through this thread, paying particular attention to the last few posts (as of about an hour ago):
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-renewal-question.816696/

It really is a problem, IMHO, with the use of "Residency Obligation" in this context. As an aside, A PR that is living abroad with their Canadian spouse or partner, for example does NOT need to prove `residency' in Canada...because they are not LIVING in Canada. They usually qualify for a renewed card because they are accompanying their Canadian Spouse or partner. That's it! There is more to it than that, but there is no residency obligation for those people.

At the end of the day, your `proof' that you are/were in Canada during those 5 years, is mostly your entry/exit records. The CBSA records all but prove that (though there has been much discussion to this with some disagreement), so as long as you provide 2 pieces of evidence (because the instructions do not say "submit 5 years worth of [anything]..."), stick to what the instructions say.