+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR card from outside Canada

Sigma.06

Mar 8, 2022
Hello everyone, I have met the PR residency obligations but could not stay until the PR card was renewed due to a health emergency of my family member who is in India. My PR card is expired. Should i send the PR card application to IRCC? I have the PR card renewal application package ready and have left it with one of my close relatives who is in Canada, he can mail it to IRCC.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone, I have met the PR residency obligations but could not stay until the PR card was renewed due to a health emergency of my family member who is in India. My PR card is expired. Should i send the PR card application to IRCC? I have the PR card renewal application package ready and have left it with one of my close relatives who is in Canada, he can mail it to IRCC.
Assume you are not in Canada right now, your option is apply a PR travel document.

Reactions: Sigma.06

Sigma.06

Mar 8, 2022
@steaky Thank you for your response. Yes, I'm in India now. So, if i apply for a PR card renewal from outside Canada, will this be rejected?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@steaky Thank you for your response. Yes, I'm in India now. So, if i apply for a PR card renewal from outside Canada, will this be rejected?
The current application which you’ll need to submit (an older copy will be rejected and you were always required to be in Canada to apply) makes you confirm that you are applying from Canada. Application is now online. You have no other option other than to apply for a PRTD or fly to the US and enter Canada that way and then apply to renew your PR card when you return to Canada. The fact that you elect your application in Canada with a relative makes it pretty clear that you know that you are required to be in Canada to apply. Unfortunately because people tried to misrepresent their location you now must clarify that you are in Canada so if you aren’t there is clear misrepresentation.

legaltrr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
Is it possible to apply for PR card from Canada and then later travel abroad, does it impact the PR card application.

i understand to come back PRTD will be reqiured, but that should be a seperate process not linked to PR card application.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I'm in India now. So, if i apply for a PR card renewal from outside Canada, will this be rejected?
As observed by @canuck78, to complete the application for a PR card the applicant must declare they are IN Canada (otherwise the form to apply for a PR card cannot be properly completed).

What the impact there will be if the PR employs some technicality or semantic twist to overtly avoid explicitly making an obviously false declaration, is hard to forecast. Not a good gamble. For PR in RO breach, at best this seriously risks elevating the scrutiny and strictness encountered. For a PR not in breach, there is little or nothing to be gained.

Note: PR card applications made by a PR are not ordinarily "rejected" as such. Main question is whether the application triggers IRCC to initiate 44(1) Inadmissibility proceedings, which can lead to the loss of PR status and being issued a Removal Order.

Is it possible to apply for PR card from Canada and then later travel abroad, does it impact the PR card application.

i understand to come back PRTD will be reqiured, but that should be a seperate process not linked to PR card application.
What you describe can apply to a very broad range of scenarios, which in turn can have a widely varying impact on what happens.

In itself, travel abroad while a PR card application is pending is very common and NOT an issue.

What matters are other factors, ranging from being abroad when the current PR card expires (thus raising the need for a PR TD to return to Canada, as you mention), to those cases in which IRCC perceives the PR to be residing abroad (and thus is more likely to refer the application for Secondary Review, and far more likely to require an in-person pick-up when a new PR card is issued).

And there is a difference between the PR who has been living in Canada, who makes a PR card application, and who then travels abroad, VERSUS the PR who appears to be living outside Canada, who makes a trip to Canada and while briefly in Canada makes the PR card application, then returns to home abroad.

PRs can still do the latter without that in itself being a problem. However, even the most dull total-stranger-bureaucrat is likely to see this for what it is, fudging, even if it is more or less still colouring inside the lines. So, it might cause the processing agent handling the application to perk up their ears, pay more attention and dig a little deeper, be more strict or skeptical. But what matters is whether the PR is complying with the RO. For PRs in RO compliance, worst case scenario is being required to appear in person to pick-up a new PR card. Which requires traveling back to Canada, leading to . . .

i understand to come back PRTD will be reqiured, but that should be a seperate process not linked to PR card application

I am not sure what you mean or are concerned about in regards to saying a PR TD application should not be linked to a PR card application. All processing of immigrants, even the brief examination at the border of returning PRs, is linked. It's been about a decade or so (at least roughly) since IRCC and CBSA migrated to one integrated immigrant-client record system, GCMS, and for PRs every aspect of their immigration history is linked (except those records discarded, deleted, or destroyed, which many are after certain periods of time).

How one application might affect another is more complex. What mostly matters is the information itself (the facts).

If the individual applying for a PR TD is determined to be a PR in compliance with the Residency Obligation, a PR TD will be issued. The fact a PR card application is pending will not affect this.

The visa office processing a PR TD application is basically focused on just a few things:
-- identity of person applying​
-- Canadian status of person applying​
-- admissibility of the person applying​

Thus, to be more specific, if the applicant is positively identified as a person with PR status in Canada, the visa office reviews the application and, of course, the applicant, sufficiently to verify the PR has met the PR Residency Obligation and thus is not "inadmissible." When the visa office verifies the applicant is a PR, and has met the PR RO (thus not inadmissible), a PR TD will be issued.

However, reviewing the "applicant" necessarily includes reviewing the PR's client records in GCMS, which will include reviewing historical information and any information in regards to anything that is pending, including any processing attendant a PR card application or a sponsorship application. The outcome of one is not directly linked to the other, but the information is linked . . . and for information provided by the PR, well, it best be consistent from one application to another.

And even though the outcome of one is not directly linked to the other, if the underlying information/facts in one indicates inadmissibility, the same information/facts will be considered and will influence the other. After all, if the PR is in breach of the RO, as ascertained in processing one application, that means they are in breach of the RO and inadmissible, and that will have an impact on whether a PR TD is issued.

hibbsdibbs

Oct 4, 2017
Hi everyone!

I received my first PR card in May 2018 and it expires in June 2023. I have already fulfilled the requirement of 730 days to be physically present in Canada and plan to renew the card online. I read on the official website that I can renew my card as early as 9 months before the expiry date. The processing time these days is almost 2 months. Since I am outside of Canada at the moment, but plan to return in May 2023, is it possible for me to apply for my renewal now and then be physically present to receive my card at my registered Canadian address? Cos I’m thinking that by the time I go back, the processing would have already begun, so it would save me some time as well if I want to travel outside again for a longer duration. Any advice regarding this? Thanks a lot in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!

I received my first PR card in May 2018 and it expires in June 2023. I have already fulfilled the requirement of 730 days to be physically present in Canada and plan to renew the card online. I read on the official website that I can renew my card as early as 9 months before the expiry date. The processing time these days is almost 2 months. Since I am outside of Canada at the moment, but plan to return in May 2023, is it possible for me to apply for my renewal now and then be physically present to receive my card at my registered Canadian address? Cos I’m thinking that by the time I go back, the processing would have already begun, so it would save me some time as well if I want to travel outside again for a longer duration. Any advice regarding this? Thanks a lot in advance!
You need to be inside of Canada to apply to renew. So you'll need to wait until May to apply.

Reactions: hibbsdibbs

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone!

One if the questions that you must answer during your PR renewal application is whether you are currently in Canada while applying. The addresses required in most applications are your residential address and your mailing address. If you at living abroad you must lost your address abroad as you residential address. If you have a mailing address in Canada that is fine. If living abroad you can’t only indicate Canadian addresses that would be misrepresenting your situation.

VJ@1981

Apr 3, 2023
Hi all, I have already completed 730 days in last 5 years (Since April 5, 2018 ie . the day of landing), required for renewal of my Permanent Residence. My Canadian permanent residence expires on May 19, 2023.

But currently I cannot leave India as I am the primary caregiver to my aging parents. My father has chronic kidney disease and can start on dialysis at any point of time and due to problems in physical movement my mother cannot take care of daily routine on her own. I need to be here for some good time to set the things in place. maximum I can manage to be out of India is like 2 weeks.

Would request any advice for a way out -
a) Can I apply for my new permanent residence card From India itself and enter Canada at a later date with PRTD just to collect PR (dosent seem to be the right decision according to threads above), keep in mind that I do have a valid Canadian address where the PR card can be sent to.

OR

b) Enter Canada just to apply for the new PR then exit before I get the new PR and enter later with PRTD to collect my new PR ( when it has reached my address in Canada)

OR

c) send application documents to a person in Canada who can send it to IRCC on my behalf and when new PR is sent then I can get PRTD and enter canada to collect my new PR and exit again.

Is there any special provision for cases like mine where I can approach IRCC to be lenient in my case?

Samrao100

Mar 13, 2022
Hi all, I have already completed 730 days in last 5 years (Since April 5, 2018 ie . the day of landing), required for renewal of my Permanent Residence. My Canadian permanent residence expires on May 19, 2023.

But currently I cannot leave India as I am the primary caregiver to my aging parents. My father has chronic kidney disease and can start on dialysis at any point of time and due to problems in physical movement my mother cannot take care of daily routine on her own. I need to be here for some good time to set the things in place. maximum I can manage to be out of India is like 2 weeks.

a) Can I apply for my new permanent residence card From India itself and enter Canada at a later date with PRTD just to collect PR (dosent seem to be the right decision according to threads above), keep in mind that I do have a valid Canadian address where the PR card can be sent to.

OR

b) Enter Canada just to apply for the new PR then exit before I get the new PR and enter later with PRTD to collect my new PR ( when it has reached my address in Canada)

OR

c) send application documents to a person in Canada who can send it to IRCC on my behalf and when new PR is sent then I can get PRTD and enter canada to collect my new PR and exit again.

Is there any special provision for cases like mine where I can approach IRCC to be lenient in my case?
Option b) is the right way to do it. You can even travel to Canada in May ‘23, a few days before your PR Card expires, then return to India & subsequently apply for a PRTD

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

OR

OR

Only b)