+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR before completing the 2 years requirement

naomi24

Jan 19, 2018
I was outside Canada for more than 2 years during 2015-2020 period because of abroad work in Asia and I'm supposed to renew my card before it expires next February (which means I can apply in May as the earliest date). Right now I have done 1 year and 8 months, and I need about 4 months more. I'm wondering if I need to complete the 4 months before I can re-apply or can I re-apply while I complete the requirement?

Edit: Ah sorry....I just realized this is in the wrong sub forum. I apologize for that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was outside Canada for more than 2 years during 2015-2020 period because of abroad work in Asia and I'm supposed to renew my card before it expires next February (which means I can apply in May as the earliest date). Right now I have done 1 year and 8 months, and I need about 4 months more. I'm wondering if I need to complete the 4 months before I can re-apply or can I re-apply while I complete the requirement?

Edit: Ah sorry....I just realized this is in the wrong sub forum. I apologize for that.
You must not renew your PR card until after you have me the 730 days in 5 years. I would add some extra days for any counting errors. You must not leave Canada until you are compliant with RO or you could be reported.

Reactions: k.h.p.