+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing my SIN during the pandemic. Can I apply for CERB?

duoduo001

Apr 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

I just got my new work permit on April 6th. My study permit expired on March 31st. After I received my new work permit, I started to apply for my SIN (which expired with my study permit.) Because of the chaotic situation now, I could only apply online... I applied through the SIN online service and I got an application number.... and that's it. No any update so far, nor have I heard anything from them yet.
The problem is, I was going to apply for CERB. I don't know can I still apply for it? or I have to wait for my SIN to be renewed?
[/QUOTE
Have you applied and succeed receive it already?

Ravkaur98

Apr 14, 2020
I got my work permit on 27 march and my sin is expired on 30 march and then because of covid19 I didn’t get a chance to renew my sin and I applied for CERB and I get my payment yesterday

duoduo001

Apr 15, 2020
I got my work permit on 27 march and my sin is expired on 30 march and then because of covid19 I didn’t get a chance to renew my sin and I applied for CERB and I get my payment yesterday
I got my valid OWP on march 14, and so far I just renewed my SIN from online, but there has no any information updated yet. Anyway, I still applied CERB today because I meet all of other standard. I hope everything goes well.

duoduo001

Apr 15, 2020
Also, how you applied the CERB? Online or phone? Since my SIN number expired, I can not log in to CRA account or service canada account, thats why I just phone them.

nr_kate

Apr 16, 2020
Hi, I was in same situation as you guys.
I applied CERB with my expired sin number on April 6th (I got study/work permit extension during pandemic) and I got $2000 on 8th with no problem at all
I was working with expired sin number during the extension until right before lock down and I met all requirements
I also mailed service Canada for sin number renewal waiting for them to mail me back

Hope this helps you guys.

nr_kate

Apr 16, 2020
Also, how you applied the CERB? Online or phone? Since my SIN number expired, I can not log in to CRA account or service canada account, thats why I just phone them.
If you have done tax return you will be able to login to CRA it doesn't matter whether your sin number expired or not
I even have done tax return this year with expired sin number

Ekam kalra

Apr 21, 2020
hi, i have a question i am getting trouble with my sin number as its expired i worked on expired one earlier was not aware of it. Now service canada is closed how can i renew my sin number. Even I can’t make cra account online it needs valid sin to create one. Error is coming there, how can i renew my sin number and get cerb ???? Please reply need help !!!! Thankyou.

ehloimolino21

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hi everyone,

I just got my new work permit on April 6th. My study permit expired on March 31st. After I received my new work permit, I started to apply for my SIN (which expired with my study permit.) Because of the chaotic situation now, I could only apply online... I applied through the SIN online service and I got an application number.... and that's it. No any update so far, nor have I heard anything from them yet.
The problem is, I was going to apply for CERB. I don't know can I still apply for it? or I have to wait for my SIN to be renewed?
do you receive already your new sin number?

DMoorthy27

May 4, 2020
Hi
I have applied for cerb with expired sin on 13th April and got my funds on 16 April. I have send all my documents for renewing my sin on 20 April by mail but still now I haven’t got any update.I have a valid work permit.I am still under confusion where I am eligible or not.
If applying with expired sin is not an issue can I apply for following month?

Nekky16

Feb 22, 2016
No, it’s not unfair .Some countries are giving students temporary workers etc in their countries NO support during this time . So saying it’s unfair that Canada requires you to have a valid SIN to apply for this monetary benefit , is confusing to say the least. It’s extremely generous on Canada’s part
Have you reached out to your country to inquire about the possible assistance they could give their citizens abroad while you’re waiting ?
I'd say calling it unfair is quite a stretch as requirements are requirements.
It is for sure generous of Canada but please do remember many of these temporary residents do work hard and pay their taxes too.

nr_kate

Apr 16, 2020
Anyone receive their renewed SIN after applying online?
I've received my renewed sin number about 20 days after I applied I sent it by Canada post express prior mail and they sent me back by same service! (They send you back with same service as you sent it to them)

meister

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
I've received my renewed sin number about 20 days after I applied I sent it by Canada post express prior mail and they sent me back by same service! (They send you back with same service as you sent it to them)
So you sent your study permit via physical mail? I was asking about those who applied to extend online.