+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing my PR Card

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018
Hello,
I left Canada in July 2011,and my PR card got expired in February 2016, then in February 2019 I applied for a permanent resident travel document through the humanitarian and compassionate grounds and I received it and it was valid till October 18th 2019. I arrived to Canada in August 2019 and now I am applying to renew my PR card, but I have a few questions;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)*In order to renew my PR card, I have to meet the residency requirements(Appendix A-residency obligations). This states that if I have been outside of Canada for more than 1095 days, I have to fill out the section for the residency obligation. This section requires a proof for either
-Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada
or
-Employment outside Canada

or
-Accompanying a permanent resident outside Canada

but none of these apply to me.. my parents are not Canadian citizens, I am a student now at the University of Toronto(I am 18 now), and my parents' PR got expired in February 2016 too! But at the end of Appendix A, it was stated:
Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

If you cannot meet the residency obligation, we will consider any compelling humanitarian and compassionate factors in your individual circumstances that may justify that you keep your permanent resident status.

We will notify you if this additional assessment is needed.

So what should I do? Should I leave the section for the Residency Obligations empty and attach the letter that I gave to the embassy when I applied to the PRTD through the humanitarian and compassionate grounds?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)*Okay, for the Biometrics... Should I pay for the biometrics and the PR card together when I apply for the PR card and wait for the BIL to arrive? Does it work like that?

Thanks a lot!

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Hello,
I left Canada in July 2011,and my PR card got expired in February 2016, then in February 2019 I applied for a permanent resident travel document through the humanitarian and compassionate grounds and I received it and it was valid till October 18th 2019. I arrived to Canada in August 2019 and now I am applying to renew my PR card, but I have a few questions;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)*In order to renew my PR card, I have to meet the residency requirements(Appendix A-residency obligations). This states that if I have been outside of Canada for more than 1095 days, I have to fill out the section for the residency obligation. This section requires a proof for either
-Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada
or
-Employment outside Canada

or
-Accompanying a permanent resident outside Canada

but none of these apply to me.. my parents are not Canadian citizens, I am a student now at the University of Toronto(I am 18 now), and my parents' PR got expired in February 2016 too! But at the end of Appendix A, it was stated:
Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

If you cannot meet the residency obligation, we will consider any compelling humanitarian and compassionate factors in your individual circumstances that may justify that you keep your permanent resident status.

We will notify you if this additional assessment is needed.

So what should I do? Should I leave the section for the Residency Obligations empty and attach the letter that I gave to the embassy when I applied to the PRTD through the humanitarian and compassionate grounds?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)*Okay, for the Biometrics... Should I pay for the biometrics and the PR card together when I apply for the PR card and wait for the BIL to arrive? Does it work like that?

Thanks a lot!
have you applied yet?
if yes, what was the outcome?