+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewed study permit but never renewed my visa. Extend? Restore? or apply from scratch?

danyalejandro

Aug 7, 2015
British Columbia
Hello!

I'm in Canada right now, studied for 2 years, then recently applied to the post-graduation work permit.

I'd like to visit the US for a couple days since I'm in "forced vacations" right now, but my canada visa expired 8 months ago. My study permit expires in 2 months.

1) For US travel, do I need a visa to re-enter canada even though my study permit has NOT expired? I have my original expired visa and found this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=527&top=15 which says if it's only to the US I can come back without the TRV.
2) Does it matter that since I applied to a PGWP I'm in "implied status" right now?
3) Do I extend, restore, or apply to the visitor visa from scratch?

Thank you

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!

I'm in Canada right now, studied for 2 years, then recently applied to the post-graduation work permit.

I'd like to visit the US for a couple days since I'm in "forced vacations" right now, but my canada visa expired 8 months ago. My study permit expires in 2 months.

1) For US travel, do I need a visa to re-enter canada even though my study permit has NOT expired? I have my original expired visa and found this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=527&top=15 which says if it's only to the US I can come back without the TRV.
2) Does it matter that since I applied to a PGWP I'm in "implied status" right now?

Thank you
1. You don't need a TRV to travel to the US.

2. You aren't on Implied Status. You have a valid study permit.

3. You need to apply for a new TRV.

Reactions: danyalejandro
Aug 25, 2020
Hello!

Thank you
Hello how did it work out for you?

danyalejandro

Aug 7, 2015
British Columbia
Hello how did it work out for you?
Ended up never going, too much risk for a non-resident. Even if rules are written on paper like this, it's the immigration officer at the border who decides ultimately, and there's nothing you can do if that person woke up in a bad mood today. Even more so during the pandemic, it's been crazy.
Also, when traveling by land, the officers on the EEUU border are NOT nice by any means.