+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewed Passport before Landing - Help Please!

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
Hello Everybody,

My brother's immigrant visa is expiring next month (March 1, 2011) and he has not yet landed. He had the impression that he needed to renew his passport because it is valid only until March 1, 2011 and he did just that.

Now, upon attending a pre-departure for Canada seminar sponsored by our government, his attention was called to the fact that his immigrant visa should be on the SAME valid passport he will be using for landing. In his case, his visa is on his expired passport and not on the valid/renewed one.

How much problem does he have? Is there a procedure to ask the visa office to reissue him another visa? What are his options?

Thanks in advance for any valuable insight you may share.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kyu010170 said:
Hello Everybody,

My brother's immigrant visa is expiring next month (March 1, 2011) and he has not yet landed. He had the impression that he needed to renew his passport because it is valid only until March 1, 2011 and he did just that.

Now, upon attending a pre-departure for Canada seminar sponsored by our government, his attention was called to the fact that his immigrant visa should be on the SAME valid passport he will be using for landing. In his case, his visa is on his expired passport and not on the valid/renewed one.

How much problem does he have? Is there a procedure to ask the visa office to reissue him another visa? What are his options?

You brother can renew the passport. Stapple the old paasport to the new one so that While departing from your country and landing in Canada, the offficers can view the Canadian PR visa on it. He has to land before March 1 as the expiry of his visa will be the date of the expiry of his passport which holds the PR Visa. He did a mistake that he did not renew his passport before stamping the visa. However he has to do everything in a hurry now.

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
Thank you for your reply Wilson. My brother is quite nervous and sent an email to his visa office which is Buffalo. No reply still after 3 days.

Do you know anyone who has successfully landed by using a new passport with an attached old passport which has the immigrant visa stamped on it? Perhaps you know of the specific authority (CIC rule, manual, etc.) he can bring with him when he lands following your suggestion?

Please, anybody who knows of an actual successfully landing this way?

Thanks.

zafrulbd

Jun 21, 2010
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore now change to Manila(07-05-2015)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03 -06-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
Nomination.....
30-09-2014
AOR Received.
16 April 2015
IELTS Request
23-11-2013
File Transfer...
07-05-2015
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
14-5-2015 Received 23 May 2015 Decision made-29.May 2015
Interview........
23-12-2013
Passport Req..
09-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Delivery 26 August (Visa issue 27 july 2015 thanks to ALLAHA)
LANDED..........
22 October 2015
kyu010170 said:
Hello Everybody,

Dear Brother,

Immigration see your passport is valid or not (not matter you take another new book but have to old book attach and entry in old book) so before ex pair need to extend but if you have no time you go to Canada first then you can extend your passport from your country embassy but very important to inter Canada before ex pair his visa i thing its not possible to extend immigration visa it was time 1 year after medical.

mmushtaq

Apr 30, 2011
Hi, Can you please share the experience of your brother? He was able to land without problem using renewed passport?

kyu010170 said:
Thank you for your reply Wilson. My brother is quite nervous and sent an email to his visa office which is Buffalo. No reply still after 3 days.

Do you know anyone who has successfully landed by using a new passport with an attached old passport which has the immigrant visa stamped on it? Perhaps you know of the specific authority (CIC rule, manual, etc.) he can bring with him when he lands following your suggestion?

Please, anybody who knows of an actual successfully landing this way?

Thanks.

wicky

Feb 27, 2011
LONDON UK
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2011
Doc's Request.
Submitted with application
AOR Received.
awaiting
IELTS Request
Submitted with application 7.5 Band
File Transfer...
awaiting
Med's Request
awaiting
Med's Done....
awaiting
Interview........
awaiting
Passport Req..
awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
awaiting
LANDED..........
awaiting
Well all old passports when expired endorsed with a stamp on it to the new one issued, I had the same experience my Visa was on the old passport but it was expired, I got issued the new passport and traveled with both passports stapled together with my visas on the old passport, but is was for UK.

Shinygirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
We traveled in the same situation... my husband had his visa on his old passport, but the visa was valid so we cud enter with both his passports.....they didnt ask us anything at all.

mmushtaq

Apr 30, 2011
Hello Shinygirl, did u travel to Canada?

Shinygirl said:
We traveled in the same situation... my husband had his visa on his old passport, but the visa was valid so we cud enter with both his passports.....they didnt ask us anything at all.

atand

Star Member
May 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
28 April 2011
AOR Received.
04 Nov 2011
Med's Request
13 Dec 2011
Med's Done....
21 Jan 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
20-Mar-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2013
kyu010170 said:
Hello Everybody,

Hi! Ask ko Lang po Kung walang naging problema yung brother nyo upon landing in Canada having 2 passports ( new and old attached together). Same situation po kasi kami. Thanks po.

Atand

canada3949

Feb 13, 2013
Hi,

I got my canada PR and it is valid up to July 2013 and my passport is valid up to Oct 2013.

i am planning to go Canada by May 2013, So, is there any rules that i need to land in canada with more than 6 months passport validity?

And if i renew my passport thn it will create any issue?

Please let me know.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada3949 said:
Hi,

I got my canada PR and it is valid up to July 2013 and my passport is valid up to Oct 2013.

i am planning to go Canada by May 2013, So, is there any rules that i need to land in canada with more than 6 months passport validity?

And if i renew my passport thn it will create any issue?

Please let me know.
I would say don't renew your passport until you land in Canada. You can renew it afterwards in the embassy.

canada3949

Feb 13, 2013
Thanks for the reply. But i heard that at time landing to any country you must needed passport with validity more than 6 months. Is it same for Canada?

And if i renew my passport it will create any issue?