+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewed my passport after PR stamping - Yet to leave for Canada

canworker

Aug 5, 2014
Hi,

Could you please let us know as to what happened? Were you able to land with both the passports (old passport which had the landing visa and the new passport).

Thank you!

pakistani9

Oct 28, 2015
Dear All,

I am facing the same issue as of "Lahore", the expiry date of my Canadian Immigration Visa is 11th April 2016 and same date is of my Passport expiry. I understand that only around 5 months left for the expiry of my passport and am planning to land by End of March 2016 with the renewed passport intact with the previous one whit valid visa.

The CIC, UK Visa office and other relevant authorities are not responding to my emails and reminders as well but i was able to go through Canadian Port of Entry Rules and Regulation, that say expired passport with valid visa and renewed passport is acceptable for landing.

Anyhow, kindly advise your valuable advise on my matter and even my eyes are waiting to see specially the response of "Lahore", who is supposed to be in Canada right now. Lahore, please share your email ID as well.

Thanks,

SAM_2014

Oct 17, 2015
Visa Office......
London (Previous MCH Current BWJ)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-07- 2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
Nomination.....
14-11- 2014
AOR Received.
------
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-11-2014
Med's Request
05-10-2015
Med's Done....
07-10- 2015 Ecas Medical have been received 14-10-2015
Interview........
04-10- 2015 (Updated PCC & FORMS)
Passport Req..
08-02 2016 Alhamdolilah
VISA ISSUED...
Passport submitted 11-02-2016 & received 15-03-2016 Alhamdolilah
LANDED..........
29-04-2016
pakistani9 said:
Dear All,

I am facing the same issue as of "Lahore", the expiry date of my Canadian Immigration Visa is 11th April 2016 and same date is of my Passport expiry. I understand that only around 5 months left for the expiry of my passport and am planning to land by End of March 2016 with the renewed passport intact with the previous one whit valid visa.

The CIC, UK Visa office and other relevant authorities are not responding to my emails and reminders as well but i was able to go through Canadian Port of Entry Rules and Regulation, that say expired passport with valid visa and renewed passport is acceptable for landing.

Anyhow, kindly advise your valuable advise on my matter and even my eyes are waiting to see specially the response of "Lahore", who is supposed to be in Canada right now. Lahore, please share your email ID as well.

Thanks,
Please visit the link below which I found on this forum:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/passport-renewal-after-pr-visa-stamped-in-old-passport-before-landing-t229577.0.html

pakistani9

Oct 28, 2015
Thanks for the response that sounds a clear justification as COPR details the passport number on which VISA is affixed so carrying other one may create problem.

engrted

Aug 19, 2015
SAM_2014 said:
Please visit the link below which I found on this forum:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/passport-renewal-after-pr-visa-stamped-in-old-passport-before-landing-t229577.0.html
just to support the link. the fee for this replacement of travel documents is I think 30CAD.if you go to the embassy, they will tell you what to do. It is pretty straight forward. i plan doing the same

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Just go and land, ensure you have both passports (attached together perhaps).
As long as Visa is valid and is not damaged, you should be ok to land in Canada

Land before visa expires......don't leave until last days, as if you get delayed due to flight delays/cancellation, etc so your visa will be expired and will not be renewed.

pakistani9

Oct 28, 2015
Dear All,

I copying the response that i received from the Visa section of Canadian Embassy. Hope this would be helpful for those might have the same concern.

Dear Applicant,

You need to renew your passport.

At the port of entry, you must show old and new passports.

Immigration applicants must show their passport with the approved visa and the COPR at the port of entry.

You can travel with the COPR that has your old passport information since that it is showing your bio page information at the time when the visa was issued.

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pakistani9 said:
Dear All,

I copying the response that i received from the Visa section of Canadian Embassy. Hope this would be helpful for those might have the same concern.

Dear Applicant,

You need to renew your passport.

At the port of entry, you must show old and new passports.

Immigration applicants must show their passport with the approved visa and the COPR at the port of entry.

You can travel with the COPR that has your old passport information since that it is showing your bio page information at the time when the visa was issued.
This is in line with or corroborates what is contained in the Canadian "Point of Entry Examination" manual.

k.arety

Apr 14, 2016
Hi Lahore,

I might be going through the same scenario as yours where I might have to renew my passport (After visa stamping and before landing in Canada) as the passport I have submitted to CIC office in London as few empty pages.

Can you please let me know how did your port of entry process go with renewed passport.

Thanks.

khurrambhatti

Star Member
May 31, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-11-2014
File Transfer...
10-02-2015
Med's Request
18-08-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2015
LANDED..........
01-05-2016
There shouldn't be any issue. I myself have renewed the passport and moving to Canada in next 20 days, with visa on old passport. My friend have traveled with same situation without any issue.

It is mentioned on CIC website that Visa on expired passport will be considered valid, subject to the validity of the Visa itself.

k.arety said:
Hi Lahore,

I might be going through the same scenario as yours where I might have to renew my passport (After visa stamping and before landing in Canada) as the passport I have submitted to CIC office in London as few empty pages.

Can you please let me know how did your port of entry process go with renewed passport.

Thanks.

k.arety

Apr 14, 2016
Hi khurrambhatti,

Thanks for the clarification. My concern is more on COPR that would have the old passport details. After going through the PDF (enf04-eng.pdf - Section 13.18) I am confident on entering on renewed passport where I present the old passport at Port of entry. You have a safe trip and best wishes for your next big step. Please keep me posted (k.arety@gmail.com) on your process (Esp COPR) when you land in Canada on 30th April.

Thanks.

gaur2209

Sep 11, 2014
Hi Khurram / other folks as well,

Hope you are well !

Please can you confirm how did it go for you. Was it a cake walk for you or did you face any issue related to the passport renewal post visa stamping ?

Regards

k.arety said:
Hi khurrambhatti,

Thanks for the clarification. My concern is more on COPR that would have the old passport details. After going through the PDF (enf04-eng.pdf - Section 13.18) I am confident on entering on renewed passport where I present the old passport at Port of entry. You have a safe trip and best wishes for your next big step. Please keep me posted (k.arety@gmail.com) on your process (Esp COPR) when you land in Canada on 30th April.

Thanks.

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
I don't think any issue will be there, its normal

quoting from post elsewhere?
The email you received has misinformation, which is not uncommon since they don't all know all the complicated rules. Canada's official policy regarding valid visas in expired passport DOES allow one to use valid visas in expired passports. Here's the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

Find a direct quote in page 56 about expired passports.
Also, page42 about required verifications during landing. Note that only the PR visa (no mention of the passport holding the visa) needs to be valid at the time. In any case, your passport will not have expired, only invalidated due to a renewal.

If you are still worried, you can print this document out and quote it when you correspond with the CIC people or even print it out and take it with you when landing.

Also, Canada does not have the 6 month validity rule for the passport expiry. But the problem would be finding an airline that will allow you to board the plane. So if you decide to not renew your passport, may be you can talk to the airline in advance and make sure that you will be allowed in based on Canada's policies.

Based on given information, I am sure you will have no issue with renewed p[passport as far as old passport with visa is attached together.

Kindly share with us if you received any email from VO and share your experience after landing?
Hi Deedohad/All Seniors,

Hope you are doing good. We have recently acquired our Canadian Permanent Residency under Express Entry Program. Also, we have received our passports back from VFS Global along with immigration visa stamped on it. Our first time travel date is on or before 1st May 2018 and we have to travel once before that to get the PR Card.

But my wife's Passport is getting expired in May 2018 (she has her Canadian immigration visa stamped on current passport). So I had following queries and would really appreciate if you can help us:

1. Is it mandatory that passport should have at least 6 months of validity at the time of travel to Canada ? (I understand you have clearly mentioned in above post that Canada does not enforce this rule. But since that was back in 2015, have the rules changed recently? I tried finding online but getting confusing results). We are planning to travel around Jan 2018 and at that time, only 3 months will be remaining on current passport. Will there be any issues because of this?

2. In case if at least 6 months validity is mandatory for traveling to Canada, We need to renew the passport for her. So in that case, do we need to get the Canadian PR immigration visa stamped on to her new Passport as well ?

3. Also, there is a minor correction in her name that we need to do while applying for the new passport (Need to remove an extra space in the name). Will that effect anything? Since right now, the name on the Canadian Immigrant Visa is same as her name on current Passport.

Thanks in advance for your help in resolving these queries for us!!

Racbil

Apr 20, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2017
Doc's Request.
16-06-2017
AOR Received.
26-06-2017
Med's Done....
27-05-2017
Passport Req..
12-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2017
LANDED..........
09-02-2018
Hi All,

Below are the latest comments in the Port of entry examination manual section13.18 : Valid visas in expired passports

"Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered valid."

Going by this, travel is allowed with renewed passport and visa on old passport.Just that both the passports must be presented at POE.

Have anyone successfully landed recently with renewed passport and visa on old passport?

Regards,
Racbil

Asad_joe

Dec 26, 2015
same issue whats the current status plz do give update. Dsr you landed in may it was smooth or any issue have u renewed ur passport