+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewed my passport after PR stamping - Yet to leave for Canada

Lahore

May 30, 2015
I am in a bit of a fix!

My family & got our PR visas Oct 31, 2014. We are planning to travel to Canada on June 09, 2015 (8 days from today!), just meeting our PR visa expiry date of June 30, 2015.

Meanwhile I made a mistake. My passport (with the PR visa stamped) was set to expire on Dec 01, 2015. Since I wanted to travel to the US also (US requires at least 6 month passport validity at the time of entering the US), I went ahead and renewed my passport.

Then I came to this forum!

I understand now it is going to be very problematic to travel on my new passport because:

• My old passport with the valid PR visa, is now deemed cancelled.
  • The Immigration Officers would be expecting same passport number as is on my COPR

Kindly advise me what to do. My tickets are booked for June 09, 2015 and PR visa expiry is June 30, 2015 (one month from today). I have already emailed the CIC. If they require me to re-send the new passport, it might take more than a month for new PR visa stamping, meaning our visa validity shall pass.

Please advise.

Thanks.

gatorengineer

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-16
Doc's Request.
11-08-16
AOR Received.
27-06-16
IELTS Request
CELPIP Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-07-16
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2016
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
Lahore said:
I am in a bit of a fix!

My family & got our PR visas Oct 31, 2014. We are planning to travel to Canada on June 09, 2015 (8 days from today!), just meeting our PR visa expiry date of June 30, 2015.

Meanwhile I made a mistake. My passport (with the PR visa stamped) was set to expire on Dec 01, 2015. Since I wanted to travel to the US also (US requires at least 6 month passport validity at the time of entering the US), I went ahead and renewed my passport.

Then I came to this forum!

I understand now it is going to be very problematic to travel on my new passport because:

• My old passport with the valid PR visa, is now deemed cancelled.
  • The Immigration Officers would be expecting same passport number as is on my COPR

Kindly advise me what to do. My tickets are booked for June 09, 2015 and PR visa expiry is June 30, 2015 (one month from today). I have already emailed the CIC. If they require me to re-send the new passport, it might take more than a month for new PR visa stamping, meaning our visa validity shall pass.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Generally visas are considered valid if the passport was renewed. You would have to show both passports to the VO. The stamps will be made on new valid passport.
I am don't have any canada centric information, seniors might be able to help.

Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/05/2014
Doc's Request.
15/09/2014
Nomination.....
PER 19/09/2014
AOR Received.
12/01/2015
File Transfer...
12/01/2015
Med's Request
03/03/2015
Med's Done....
04/03/2015
Passport Req..
waiting
YOU MADE A VERY BIG MISTAKE....IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO RENEW YOUR PASSPORT AFTER THE VISA ISSUANCE.
as far of what i know, you should inform the VO immediately, otherwise, you would jeopardize the landing process. because i am sure that if the officer noticed that, landing will be denied.

Lahore

May 30, 2015
But it is not mentioned anywhere that passport cannot be renewed after PR visa issuance. I did it since I needed to visit the US for work and they require 6 month passport validity for entry in to the country.

Could it jeopardize our PR status? Is there a chance it could be cancelled?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Check with your visa office.

fswevaluation

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA/ NEW YORK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th June 2014
LANDED..........
6th July 2015/Toronto
Lahore said:
But it is not mentioned anywhere that passport cannot be renewed after PR visa issuance. I did it since I needed to visit the US for work and they require 6 month passport validity for entry in to the country.

Could it jeopardize our PR status? Is there a chance it could be cancelled?

You are absolutely fine to do the landing --you should carry both the passports. Please do not worry

Lahore

May 30, 2015
Thanks for the reply, fswevaluation!

Do you know of any real examples like this, or is there an official statement on this from the concerned authorities?

As I am researching the issues, I am getting two types of replies:

• Our PR visa is invalidated and we will need to get new visas stamped for a fee.
  • Nothing is wrong, and if I land with both passports in hand, there should be no issues.

I have already written to CIC but I do not know what to believe right now.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Call CIC to get immediate response.

deedohad

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Med's Request
09-04-2015
Med's Done....
12-04-2015
Interview........
26-03-2015
Passport Req..
8-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
Lahore said:

Do you know of any real examples like this, or is there an official statement on this from the concerned authorities?

• Our PR visa is invalidated and we will need to get new visas stamped for a fee.
  • Nothing is wrong, and if I land with both passports in hand, there should be no issues.

I don't think any issue will be there, its normal

quoting from post elsewhere?
The email you received has misinformation, which is not uncommon since they don't all know all the complicated rules. Canada's official policy regarding valid visas in expired passport DOES allow one to use valid visas in expired passports. Here's the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

Find a direct quote in page 56 about expired passports.
Also, page42 about required verifications during landing. Note that only the PR visa (no mention of the passport holding the visa) needs to be valid at the time. In any case, your passport will not have expired, only invalidated due to a renewal.

If you are still worried, you can print this document out and quote it when you correspond with the CIC people or even print it out and take it with you when landing.

Also, Canada does not have the 6 month validity rule for the passport expiry. But the problem would be finding an airline that will allow you to board the plane. So if you decide to not renew your passport, may be you can talk to the airline in advance and make sure that you will be allowed in based on Canada's policies.

Based on given information, I am sure you will have no issue with renewed p[passport as far as old passport with visa is attached together.

Kindly share with us if you received any email from VO and share your experience after landing?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Lahore said:

I'm not sure about this. But generally, valid visas in expired passports are considered good if they remain intact. (it's just a visa sticker)
As long as the visa is not damaged/cut and remains intact, you should (hopefully) be ok.

If you want for peace of mind, go contact FIA(Pakistani Immigration Officials) at the airport and see what they say. If they say yes its ok you will be fine. Are you taking PIA or middle-eastern airlines ?

You should've been more proactive and checked this BEFORE you renewed passport. I fail to understand why you left everything for the last month when you had visas issued since last October. This is why I say to people, land ASAP after receiving visas so that any other issues about renewals, expiries, etc can be taken care of later on without hassle or worry.
(You could easily have applied and received US Visa from Canada too, it's not a big issue.)

fswevaluation

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA/ NEW YORK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th June 2014
LANDED..........
6th July 2015/Toronto
Lahore,

I am not an Attorney but I can tell you this based on other immigration websites which I have seen in the past--If I have a passport which is expired but has a valid visa and then I go and renew a new passport, my visa is not cancelled--PASSPORTS IS MY HOME COUNTRY ISSUE, VISA IS THE COUNTRY WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO. PERIOD. Your visa is valid. valid.valid

So, my friend--carry both the passports and YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

Here is the link for the forum discussion similar to your scenario

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/passport-renewed-visa-on-old-passport-t39316.0.html

All the best

Lahore

May 30, 2015
Thank you everyone, @canvis2006, @deedohad, and @fswevaluation for your input.

I will definitely share updates. I am taking PIA, and they say that I am good to fly. I haven't talked to the FIA yet.

I am thinking about the difference in "renewing an expired passport", and "renewing a yet-to-be-expired" passport. Second one is voluntary.

I emailed the London office on May 30, but haven't heard back yet. Don't know how many more days they will take before responding, and then if they DO ask me to send over the passport for new PR visa stamping, I am not sure that would be good for us. Why? Because with the PR visa is expiring on June 30, and any delay in processing at their end, will take us over the expiry date.