+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal

Yorki

Feb 22, 2023
Dear everyone

I have been in Canada for more than a year for studies at George Brown College. In April 2024, I finish college. I am thinking of extending my stay in Canada by applying for a work visa after my studies, but the problem is that my passport also expires in April 2024. Can I go back on my home country and apply for a new passport? Can I re-enter Canada with the new passport, since the visa is stamped in another passport? Does canada immigration give you a temporary residence card instead of stamped Visa ?

Only serious answers pls ! Thank you very much

Last edited:

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Dear everyone

I have been in Canada for more than a year for studies at George Brown College. In April 2024, I finish college. I am thinking of extending my stay in Canada by applying for a work visa after my studies, but the problem is that my passport also expires in April 2024. Can I go back on my decision and apply for a new passport? Can I re-enter Canada with the new passport, since the visa is stamped in another passport? Does canada immigration give you a temporary residence card instead of stamped Visa ?

Only serious answers pls ! Thank you very mucy.
I will answer your question from an Indian passport holder perspective since thats what I used to hold, and I dont know which one you are holding.

1. Yes You can ask for a re-issue of a passport 1 year before passport expires
2. Visas remain valid in old cancelled passports. You can re-enter Canada showing your new passport and the old passport with visa
3. Canada immigration gives cards for Permanent Residents only. For temporary residents, "Work Permit" or "Study Permits" are issued which are in paper form. But they do not allow you to enter canada. For that a TRV is required, which is a visa pasted in your passport. As mentioned in point above, it can be in your previously cancelled passport.

4. I do not understand what you meant by this statement "Can I go back on my decision and apply for a new passport? "

Reactions: Yorki

Yorki

Feb 22, 2023
Thanks for your answer dear. Very helpful. About point 4 I made a mistake , I mean my home country instead of decision.

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
Yorki, you can request a new passport at one of the Brasilian consulates in Canada, not need to go back to Brazil to get a new one.
Actually now that you mentioned the George Brown College, the Consulate General Of Brazil in Toronto is fairly close to your College, try contact them or go the their page, I think you only need your CPF to do it.

Good luck

Reactions: Yorki

Yorki

Feb 22, 2023
Yorki, you can request a new passport at one of the Brasilian consulates in Canada, not need to go back to Brazil to get a new one.
Actually now that you mentioned the George Brown College, the Consulate General Of Brazil in Toronto is fairly close to your College, try contact them or go the their page, I think you only need your CPF to do it.

Good luck
Thanks for your answer dear