+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal

amanda

Apr 9, 2004
Canada
Hi All,

In August this year I will need a renewal to my PR card.I doubt I have lived for many years in Canada to meet the obligation.In 2008, I got my PR , I was a Physician Assistant in Van G H L Canada. I contracted a nasty virus infection and moved to Cleveland United States with my boy friend.Later the infection never subsided and I got infection hepatitis and later a hepatic tumor. I got treated for over three years. I worked at the clinic during my treatment. My boy friend had joined a hospital in Canada last fall but has got laid off and is coming back. My parents are in Canada. They are Canadian residents.I want to go to Canada to renew my PR card. I do not have job in Canada and I don't want to quit my present job .You guys put yourselves in my shoes and answer me as much as you can, I need your help.

1. Will I get a compassionate consideration for renewal of my PR card? If Yes what application I need to fill and where should I send it to?

2.I am not sure of getting a job in Canada right away and would keep my present job till I find some in Canada, may be an year or two, who knows?

Do I need an attorney? They charge a good fees. You guys are great, help me as my counsel.

thanx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So if you moved in 2008 to the US, you have been outside Canada for 5 years now so there is no way you would meet the requirements. Personally, I don't think you have a strong case for an appeal. You say you worked during your treatment so it is not like you were bedridden in hospital. You could have returned to Canada any time and continued your treatment here.

Your best chance of keeping your PR is moving to Canada now before your PR card expires and stay for 2 years straight without leaving. At that point, you will meet the residency requirements again and can apply to renew your PR card without any consequences. As for not having a job in Canada, that's not a problem. You can get one. Just make sure you go to a province with low unemployment, SK or AB and you will have loads of opportunities.