+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

renewal vs extension of visitor visa

Ramzi Rais

Mar 27, 2015
my father is on a 5 Year Multiple visitor's visa, he is currently here in Canada on a visit, however, his visa expires on the 9th of April, which is roughly 3 weeks from now.

Can he apply for an extension? I was reading that you should apply for that 30 days before the expiry date. If no, Can he apply for a new visitor's visa while still here in Canada?
If you can kindly help me I would highly appreciate it, and please just share the steps of what we need to do , I get lost when people send me links .

Thank you all for your generous time

Ramzi Rais

Mar 27, 2015
Not sure why you get lost when you are sent links as it is an actual step by step guide of what you need to do. Would suggest you click the link and focus on the instructions. Only suggesting coz the beat resource will always be the actual source.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/eligibility.html
Thank you for your reply,
I have actually checked this link already before posting my thread, and I still am very confused. Do I need to apply for an extension or should I apply for a new visitors visa? it says "
When you apply to extend your stay as a visitor, we give you a visitor record. A visitor record doesn’t guarantee you can return to Canada. If you travel outside Canada or the United States, your visitor record will not be valid for entry. That’s why you need a visitor visa."

so is it fair to say that i need to apply for a new visitor visa and Not extension?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You need to apply for both

1)an extension to his current stay given the current visa is only a travel document authorising travel to Canada within the validity of the visa . His authorised stay would have been allocated at the time he entered the country so you need to extend his stay in order for him to keep legal status if staying in the country beyond that authorised stay. The visa validity has nothing to do with how long he can stay, the stay authorised on entry is what counts.

2)for future travel to Canada you need to apply for a new visa.

As far as (1) is concerned once you apply then legal status is maintained until a decision is made whereas if you apply just for (2) there is no such status to remain in Canada. Also in applying for (1) should he leave whilst the application is in process the application would be considered abandoned so would need (2) to complete processing in order to return.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
my father is on a 5 Year Multiple visitor's visa, he is currently here in Canada on a visit, however, his visa expires on the 9th of April, which is roughly 3 weeks from now.

Can he apply for an extension? I was reading that you should apply for that 30 days before the expiry date. If no, Can he apply for a new visitor's visa while still here in Canada?
If you can kindly help me I would highly appreciate it, and please just share the steps of what we need to do , I get lost when people send me links .

Thank you all for your generous time
1. Yes, he can apply to extend his authorized stay. He must apply before 9th April, the sooner the better.

2. No, he cannot submit an application for a new TRV inside Canada. That option is only for students and work permit holders

Reactions: Ramzi Rais

Ramzi Rais

Mar 27, 2015
1. Yes, he can apply to extend his authorized stay. He must apply before 9th April, the sooner the better.

2. No, he cannot submit an application for a new TRV inside Canada. That option is only for students and work permit holders
Thank you for this short and valuable answer, i have a few more short questions
1. as for your point 1, he doesn't have the 30-day window to apply for extension, should he apply for it still? and does the extension mean " his stay IN CANADA" ? as in he cant leave and return.

2. and if we want to travel to the united states for a vacation, (he has the visitor's visa to the USA) we would like to go for a couple of days( just step foot in USA and come back to Canada) because he is booked on a flight out of Montreal/Canada on the 4th. in this Case on his current valid visitors visa will he be allowed back in Canada knowing that he is booked out of Montreal .?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you for this short and valuable answer, i have a few more short questions
1. as for your point 1, he doesn't have the 30-day window to apply for extension, should he apply for it still? and does the extension mean " his stay IN CANADA" ? as in he cant leave and return.
The 30-days window is only a guide. He must ensure his application to extend his stay reaches CIC before his current visitor status expires. It's okay even if CIC receives his application one day prior to the expiry, but don't leave it until the last minute.

He will have implied status until he gets a decision on his application to extend his stay.

If he leaves the country then his extension will become void unless he visits the US. He will then be assessed for a new stay when he returns.

2. and if we want to travel to the united states for a vacation, (he has the visitor's visa to the USA) we would like to go for a couple of days( just step foot in USA and come back to Canada) because he is booked on a flight out of Montreal/Canada on the 4th. in this Case on his current valid visitors visa will he be allowed back in Canada knowing that he is booked out of Montreal .?
It depends on the CBSA officer at the POE depending on how long he has already been staying in Canada + when he intends to leave