File Transfer...
01-06-2016
Med's Done....
14-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-12-2016
LANDED..........
01-07-2017
I've been a permanent resident for less than a year, and my health card (RAMQ) is expiring in late january. I was told I'd have to prove residence like bank statements and such in order to renew my card again next year, and the issue is that I haven't been working nor really using a personal payment card this entire time. My husband is the one working and I stay at home and we always shop or pay for stuff together under his own card. I imagined that since I've been going to the dentist regularly for Invisalign treatment which requires check ups every 6 weeks for a year that it would prove my presence in Quebec, but I looked up on the official website which had a specific list of all the accepted documents. It seems all they accept as proof is pay slips, employer's attestations, or colleges, immigration programs, etc. I have my own phone number but it's registered under my husband, since I don't work and can't pay for it myself..

So quick question, am I screwed?! Do you have to be a working or studying resident to be able to prove you live here, or will a dentist's attestation/contract/bills be proof? Anyone have any experience with this? I can't imagine I'm the first stay at home wife to ask for a health card renewal.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Your best bet is to contact RAMQ office and describe your situation. I am pretty sure that you are not the first person in a similar situation, so they should be able to give you more specific info on how you can renew the card.

If you are seeing a dentist and pay for the services, there should be a bill (or invoice) in your name. Alternatively, your husband and you can have a joint bank account or a joint lease-agreement (if you are renting).

But still, the best way to go about it is to contact RAMQ office directly and have them explain your options.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I've been a permanent resident for less than a year, and my health card (RAMQ) is expiring in late january. I was told I'd have to prove residence like bank statements and such in order to renew my card again next year, and the issue is that I haven't been working nor really using a personal payment card this entire time. My husband is the one working and I stay at home and we always shop or pay for stuff together under his own card. I imagined that since I've been going to the dentist regularly for Invisalign treatment which requires check ups every 6 weeks for a year that it would prove my presence in Quebec, but I looked up on the official website which had a specific list of all the accepted documents. It seems all they accept as proof is pay slips, employer's attestations, or colleges, immigration programs, etc. I have my own phone number but it's registered under my husband, since I don't work and can't pay for it myself..

So quick question, am I screwed?! Do you have to be a working or studying resident to be able to prove you live here, or will a dentist's attestation/contract/bills be proof? Anyone have any experience with this? I can't imagine I'm the first stay at home wife to ask for a health card renewal.
Even unemployed stay-at-home spouses generally have a bank account or a credit card or a utility bill or their name on a lease/mortgage etc. As said above, contact RAMQ.

Aside from that, it is unusual and in my opinion, a bit worrying for you, that absolutely everything seems to be under your husband's name and control.