+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal of Health Card

Jake2510

Apr 21, 2022
I am travelling back to Toronto.this week to renew my Health Card (expiring mid May).

I've been in Canada from June 2017 until March 2018, went overseas for work, been back and forth for a week or two between March 2018 and Nov 2019, when I returned for Bypass surgery.

I've been out of the country since March 2020 and could not travel back due to COVID. When I thought I could go back, wife (awaiting her Oath taking ceremony) and daughter (now 16) decided to travel to where I am (Middle East) for a year. Therefore, making it even less likely that I could travel back.

Need to know whether there would be any issued renewing my Health Card (residency requirments) - I think I'm OK but need to be sure.

And yes, moving permanently back to Canada in June to meet RO ove the next two years

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am travelling back to Toronto.this week to renew my Health Card (expiring mid May).

I've been in Canada from June 2017 until March 2018, went overseas for work, been back and forth for a week or two between March 2018 and Nov 2019, when I returned for Bypass surgery.

I've been out of the country since March 2020 and could not travel back due to COVID. When I thought I could go back, wife (awaiting her Oath taking ceremony) and daughter (now 16) decided to travel to where I am (Middle East) for a year. Therefore, making it even less likely that I could travel back.

Need to know whether there would be any issued renewing my Health Card (residency requirments) - I think I'm OK but need to be sure.

And yes, moving permanently back to Canada in June to meet RO ove the next two years
Read the first FAQ here:

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx#:~:text=This means that you must,residency in the province; and

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

How long did you spend in Canada when you had your bypass surgery? You were supposed to advise OHIP of any longer absences and it looks like you may have had to reapply for OHIP in 2018/2019 depending on how long you spent in Canada after you left to work abroad. Have you been spending 5/6months a year in Ontario (depending on whether you needed to reapply for OHIP if you were out of the province for too long in 2018/2019) after your your first year? Having a valid health card does not mean you qualify for health coverage. You must still meet the residency requirement to maintain healthcare in whatever province you live in. You can be asked to reimburse the government if you weren’t entitled to the healthcare when files are audited. The system is in place to prevent people from doing exactly what you did which is only return to Canada when you need healthcare while you haven’t been working in the province and paying into the system.

Jake2510

Apr 21, 2022
For 2017/2018, I was in Canada for about 9 months.

Also, I had setup a Pvt Company before I left Canada in March 2018 and have been filing my tax returns every year since then.

When I returned in Nov 2018, I stayed for approx. 4 months and after that could not return due to COVID restrictions (I tried twice but lock downs prevented me from travelling or returning back if I did travel).

So for 2018/2019, probably about 5 months in total.

An immigrant is required to be fully qualified and experienced when applying to immigrate to Canada and once you're in, that's the last thing any employer wants to look at - an immigrants education and experience. Majority are required to take up jobs that has nothing to do with their eduxation or work experience, most start at the bottom of the ladder.

So forgive me for saying that if anyone has taken advantage of another, its the Canadian Immigration system that takes advantage of new immigrants.

And NO, I wasn't trying to take advantage of the system, my family lives in Canada, my wife pays her taxes as well. I had to also make a living to make ends meet and not working for 9 months tends to eat up hard-earned savings which took years to build.

Sorry that this has become a rant but please dont pass judgement until you know all the facts.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For 2017/2018, I was in Canada for about 9 months.

Also, I had setup a Pvt Company before I left Canada in March 2018 and have been filing my tax returns every year since then.

When I returned in Nov 2018, I stayed for approx. 4 months and after that could not return due to COVID restrictions (I tried twice but lock downs prevented me from travelling or returning back if I did travel).

So for 2018/2019, probably about 5 months in total.

An immigrant is required to be fully qualified and experienced when applying to immigrate to Canada and once you're in, that's the last thing any employer wants to look at - an immigrants education and experience. Majority are required to take up jobs that has nothing to do with their eduxation or work experience, most start at the bottom of the ladder.

So forgive me for saying that if anyone has taken advantage of another, its the Canadian Immigration system that takes advantage of new immigrants.

And NO, I wasn't trying to take advantage of the system, my family lives in Canada, my wife pays her taxes as well. I had to also make a living to make ends meet and not working for 9 months tends to eat up hard-earned savings which took years to build.

Sorry that this has become a rant but please dont pass judgement until you know all the facts.
If you aren’t physically in Canada you don’t meet the requirements to receive healthcare. The residency requirements needed to qualify for healthcare are available on each province’s website. Doesn’t matter whether you have set up a private company in Canada. If you only spent 4 months in Canada after only spending 1 year before that you weren’t entitled to receive OHIP and could be asked to pay back any costs incurred. Would add that if your family lives in Canada you are a tax resident and are required to pay taxes on your international income not just whatever income is generated by your private company. Nobody is forcing anyone to immigrate to Canada or have their families to remain in Canada if they chose to move abroad. Whether you qualify to receive healthcare isn’t related to immigration policies.

Reactions: YVR123 and Jake2510