+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew TRV within Canada

mmbb1430@yahoo.com.ar

Mar 30, 2017
Hi,

I'd like to know how to submit an application for a new TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) within Canada for a student permit holder.

Does it have to be on-paper, or can I do it online?

After answering all the questions online, I get the document checklist that includes:
Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257)

Can I continue to apply online or I must do it on paper?

Additional information:
  • Passport from visa-required country
  • No valid TRV at the moment
  • Student permit for a designated learning institution expiring in Feb-2019
  • Length of the trip is going to be 1 week to a visa-required country in May-2018
  • In Canada for the past 18 months

Thanks!

mmbb1430@yahoo.com.ar

Mar 30, 2017
My lawyer said that if I do it online, all I'll get is a visitor record and it will not allow me to come back.

I've seen many people in this forum applying online by submitting the Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257) form, but I don't know how those applications and trips ended.

Any comments on this? Thanks!

charanbir

Star Member
Aug 3, 2013
India
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
31-07-2013
Med's Request
pre medicals
Med's Done....
17-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
Hi,

I'd like to know how to submit an application for a new TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) within Canada for a student permit holder.

Does it have to be on-paper, or can I do it online?

After answering all the questions online, I get the document checklist that includes:
Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257)

Can I continue to apply online or I must do it on paper?

Additional information:
  • Passport from visa-required country
  • No valid TRV at the moment
  • Student permit for a designated learning institution expiring in Feb-2019
  • Length of the trip is going to be 1 week to a visa-required country in May-2018
  • In Canada for the past 18 months

Thanks!
You can apply online and that is the correct form that you need to fill.

mmbb1430@yahoo.com.ar

Mar 30, 2017
Hi! I read you post here regarding applying for student visa within Canada. I just wanted to know from which country did you applied for new student visa, is it in canada or to your residential country? Thank you.
I applied online from within Canada after I got the study permit.

Reactions: Kjoice

mmbb1430@yahoo.com.ar

Mar 30, 2017
Bro i got visa for 2 year program. But only 1 year visa is stamped in passport. Will at the Port of entry will get 2 year study permit or 1 year. Are they issuing study permit according to visa validity.
I had the same question once with the working holiday visa and work permit. Once you arrive they will issue your permit for the program duration. The visa is only for entering Canada, the permit will say how long you can stay.

sanjanarudrakshi

Jun 13, 2020
99% you are not filling the questionnaire correctly.
What could I be filling wrong. Should I say the country of residence is India while filling the form though I am in Canada . Rest I’ve filled the questionnaire multiple times and fail to see what could be wrong .

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
What is your status? What are you putting in what you would like to do in canada and how long you are planing to stay

sanjanarudrakshi

Jun 13, 2020
What could I be filling wrong. Should I say the country of residence is India while filling the form though I am in Canada . Rest I’ve filled the questionnaire multiple times and fail to see what could be wrong .
What is your status? What are you putting in what you would like to do in canada and how long you are planing to stay
I am on a closed work permit and my daughter who is 17 is on visitor record . Her TRV expired this month and have to apply for it . When filling in the wizard I fill
1. Visit
2. I’ve tried both more than six months and less than six months
3. IND
4. Current country of residence — Canada
5. Current immigration status —- temporary resident permit holder

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I am on a closed work permit and my daughter who is 17 is on visitor record . Her TRV expired this month and have to apply for it . When filling in the wizard I fill
1. Visit
2. I’ve tried both more than six months and less than six months
3. IND
4. Current country of residence — Canada
5. Current immigration status —- temporary resident permit holder
Ok so not a student, is visitor record also expired?
TRV is only required to be valid when traveling to Canada so I'm a little confused here.
When you enter Canada as a simple visitor you get 6 months to be in Canada unless the officer indicates otherwise in your passport, if 6 months are approaching you need to apply for a visitor record/extension to your stay so that is likely why its suggesting the visitor record.

@canuck78 @scylla

sanjanarudrakshi

Jun 13, 2020
Ok so not a student, is visitor record also expired?
TRV is only required to be valid when traveling to Canada so I'm a little confused here.
When you enter Canada as a simple visitor you get 6 months to be in Canada unless the officer indicates otherwise in your passport, if 6 months are approaching you need to apply for a visitor record/extension to your stay so that is likely why its suggesting the visitor record.

@canuck78 @scylla
She had a valid visitor record till 26/12/2020 and I applied for a new one in September when I got her new passport made. The processing time when I applied for her visitor record was 180 days .