+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR or wait for Citizenship application?

Tawcan

Star Member
Mar 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-6-2011
AOR Received.
28-7-2011
Passport Req..
14-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.
My PR card expires in December 2016, I'm currently applying for citizenship and has my application listed as "in process" since May 10th.
I just got an email about renewal of the PR card since there is only 6 months left till it expires, but I'm not sure if I should renew or wait till the citizenship application is done.
We will be travelling in December, so I need one or the other.

Thanks

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most of 2016 applicants seems to have a processing time of ~6 months. But, if you are travelling in December, better to renew the PR by Aug-Sep. No one can say for sure how long it is going to take from in-process to Oath as it depends on person to person, location, volume of applications etc. There is a good chance that you will have oath before December; but better dont take a chance and you will be all tensed up. A PR renewal takes 2.5 months and costs $50; but is more than the worth of having a peace of mind. My PR card also expires in Dec and I'm also planning to renew it if a DM/ Oath is not there by November. My exam is on June 21.

roli001

Jul 29, 2015
Burlington
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for the PR card if you're planning to travel. Don't risk it. We waited assuming that my wife will get her citizenship before the PR card expires, which unfortunately she didn't. We had to cancel our flight.

benjie

Jan 29, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My Citizenship still in process last month May 10 and I just renew my pr 2weeks ago and will expired on june 30 2016 which is i need to renew. i dont know when i can get my exam for citizenship or how long it will process..

Im still hoping for only 6 months process lol..

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tawcan said:
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.
My PR card expires in December 2016, I'm currently applying for citizenship and has my application listed as "in process" since May 10th.
I just got an email about renewal of the PR card since there is only 6 months left till it expires, but I'm not sure if I should renew or wait till the citizenship application is done.
We will be travelling in December, so I need one or the other.

Thanks
CIC told me to renew my PR card if I'm planning to leave the country. I have no plans to go anywhere outside Canada,I didn't renew or anything.. So I suggest you renew yours,since you have plans to travel outside Canada.If you weren't,then it would have been ok just to wait for your citizenship.
I had mine expired a few months before I applied for citizenship,but since I have no plans to leave Canada,I didn't worry about renewing it.....I had an expired PR card during my test and oath but it wasn't a problem.I became Canadian last March. :D :D :D

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
roli001 said:
Apply for the PR card if you're planning to travel. Don't risk it. We waited assuming that my wife will get her citizenship before the PR card expires, which unfortunately she didn't. We had to cancel our flight.
Agreed - it should really be centered around your travel plans. Our PR cards expire in October and obviously we are hoping to get our Oath ceremonies before then. But in the event we don't we probably won't renew our PR cards UNLESS we decide to travel outside of Canada.

If you don't intend to travel outside Canada - you are not required to renew the PR card. Your PR STATUS automatically renews as long as you meet the eligibility for renewal.

Tawcan

Star Member
Mar 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-6-2011
AOR Received.
28-7-2011
Passport Req..
14-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Great, thanks for all your answers. I'll just renew my PR then to be on the safe side.

fishbone

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cappuccino said:
Our PR cards expire in October and obviously we are hoping to get our Oath ceremonies before then.
Maybe I'm just skeptical but I would never be able to have that much faith in CIC :)